Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Have you seen some of the people who have received honours in recent years?
The first and most recent that jumped immediately to mind was Gavin Williamson. Other dishonourable recipients are available. They are often bungs for pals and past favours/donations.
I didn't say that the system worked or that gongs were given to the right people. What I said was than in a debate as to whether Stanley Johnson should get one, his history of domestic violence is relevant.

It would have also been relevant to point out how corrupt the system is, and that honours are often given to those who sell arms to countries that arguably shouldn't be allowed to buy them, cronies and sycophants.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I didn't say that the system worked or that gongs were given to the right people. What I said was than in a debate as to whether Stanley Johnson should get one, his history of domestic violence is relevant.

It would have also been relevant to point out how corrupt the system is, and that honours are often given to those who sell arms to countries that arguably shouldn't be allowed to buy them, cronies and sycophants.

They are not given for being honourable, as you said...they are honours given to them.

The system us a farce.

albion

Veteran
On the BBC, the other day on radio 4 I think, , rather than use 'recession', the reader used 'technical recession' instead.
Technical recession is the term used for an actual recession, the Tories themselves certainly using it go downplay, spread doubt on any Tory recession,Tory like.

Whether inadvertently or on purpose, it again shows the corrosive nature of politics seeping through.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
On the BBC, the other day on radio 4 I think, , rather than use 'recession', the reader used 'technical recession' instead.
Technical recession is the term used for an actual recession, the Tories themselves certainly using it go downplay, spread doubt on any Tory recession,Tory like.

Whether inadvertently or on purpose, it again shows the corrosive nature of politics seeping through.

Yes, I posted about this back in Kwasi Kerching! days.
https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/kwasi-economics.356/page-3#post-38029

The future of Richard Sharp as BBC chair hung in the balance on Tuesday night after it emerged he had been shown the “grim” draft conclusions of a report into his appointment. One person briefed on the draft findings by Adam Heppinstall KC said the criticisms made it “probable but not certain” that Sharp would have to resign as BBC chair. He has held the role since February 2021. Heppinstall was asked in February by the office of the Commissioner for Public Appointments to oversee an investigation into the selection process by which Sharp was given the role. A report that month by the House of Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee found that Sharp had made “significant errors of judgment” in failing to declare his role in a personal loan for Boris Johnson, prime minister at the time, of up to £800,000. According to several people briefed on Heppinstall’s draft report, it is close to being finished. One said the contents made “grim” reading for Sharp, a former Goldman Sachs banker and a friend of prime minister Rishi Sunak. They said Sharp had been shown the allegations against him under the “Maxwellisation process”, whereby people who are about to be criticised in a public report are shown the criticism in advance to allow them to respond. “It may be that Richard decides to jump before he is pushed,” said one person briefed on the draft report. “This is difficult for him. He is seeking ways to justify his behaviour. It seems probable but not certain that he will have to go.”

https://www.ft.com/content/d2ee7d01-0fe4-48f9-b134-993395a1c5d2

matticus

Guru
Theoretically. In practice, if you think it's unbiased there'll be someone else to contradict you. And vice versa.

This is actually a key point to the "The BBC is biased!!!" topic: you can never prove you are unbiased. Everything you say will give someone the opportunity to moan (from one side or the other).

All you can ask is that they keep working towards* an unbiased take. And being better than just about every other national broadcaster is pretty good evidence of success on that front.

*Part of this should be listening and responding to complaints/feedback. The BBC broadcasts regular programmes on exactly this.

Top Bottom