Listenable politics podcasts/radio?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
I accidently clicked on the BBC 'live' election radio stream and got the presenters joking about election bets comparing them to a 'stable boy tip' in their futike attempt at humour.
Excruciating as usual and utter nonsense likening a form tip to a 'now one horse race' election day tip.
I find that over 5 minutes of BBC coverage often too much, the brain feeling starved.

Is there anything serious enough to be listenable? At least I am grateful the BBC World Service does a better job than the far fatter cats at the BBC.
Intelligent coverage is fine, full balance not being needed.

multitool

Pharaoh
Is there anything serious enough to be listenable? At least I am grateful the BBC World Service does a better job than the far fatter cats at the BBC.
Intelligent coverage is fine, full balance not being needed.

Let me know if you find any, because if it is just professional pundits then it's rarely worth a listen.

The only people worth listening to are those with actual political experience who are freed from party constraints.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
It is not rocket science to invite guest/s, call out bull and evolve around that.
Very bad attempts to make light enhance bull.

Last edited:

stowie

“For the Many” with Iain Dale and Jackie Smith is worth a listen.

That would be an intriguing mix - isn't Iain Dale standing as a Tory candidate?

I know at least some of my picks are going to be hated, but here we go...

The Rest is Politics with Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart. Yeah, I know, Iraq war, austerity - it is a fair point. But these two have a depth of knowledge both about Westminster and world politics that is an education in itself. The Iraq interview by Rory on Alastair was illuminating - Stewart was polite but unflinching on both his experience on the ground and the decisions made. And they do the Leading series where they interview politicians (both current and former) which is quite eye-opening at times.

Oh God, What Now? If you are a remainer and centre left then there is nothing here that will challenge your views, but they have some interesting guests such as John Crace.

The News Agents - Emily Maitlis, Jon Sopel and Lewis Goodall. Three very experienced journalists and all are much freer to express opinions than when working at the BBC. Can be a bit Westminster Bubble, but for Westminster politics it is an interesting mix.

The Bugle - Comedy current affairs podcast with Andy Zaltzman who hosts the Radio 4 "News Quiz". Features comedian guests, including comedians from India, US and Australia as well as UK guests such as Nish Kumar and Mark Steel. I find Andy Zaltzman funny, so that helps and the mix of guests can be genuinely hilarious.

Mark Steel's "What the f*ck is going on?". Again, another left-wing comedy podcast, with Mark Steel doing sketches and interviewing guests. Probably not going to discover exclusive news on this podcast, but if you like Mark Steel then you will like this. Worth listening if only to hear the phrase "What the f*ck is going on?" being sung in many different musical genres from Death Metal through Rap to classical string quartet.

I have tried listening to some more right-wing Podcasts such as those from the Telegraph, but currently they just sound delusional with the belief that the Tories aren't as bad as they seem, whilst every breaking news story seems to show them worse than previously imagined.

Beebo

Veteran
That would be an intriguing mix - isn't Iain Dale standing as a Tory candidate?

I know at least some of my picks are going to be hated, but here we go...

The Rest is Politics with Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart. Yeah, I know, Iraq war, austerity - it is a fair point. But these two have a depth of knowledge both about Westminster and world politics that is an education in itself. The Iraq interview by Rory on Alastair was illuminating - Stewart was polite but unflinching on both his experience on the ground and the decisions made. And they do the Leading series where they interview politicians (both current and former) which is quite eye-opening at times.

Oh God, What Now? If you are a remainer and centre left then there is nothing here that will challenge your views, but they have some interesting guests such as John Crace.

The News Agents - Emily Maitlis, Jon Sopel and Lewis Goodall. Three very experienced journalists and all are much freer to express opinions than when working at the BBC. Can be a bit Westminster Bubble, but for Westminster politics it is an interesting mix.

The Bugle - Comedy current affairs podcast with Andy Zaltzman who hosts the Radio 4 "News Quiz". Features comedian guests, including comedians from India, US and Australia as well as UK guests such as Nish Kumar and Mark Steel. I find Andy Zaltzman funny, so that helps and the mix of guests can be genuinely hilarious.

Mark Steel's "What the f*ck is going on?". Again, another left-wing comedy podcast, with Mark Steel doing sketches and interviewing guests. Probably not going to discover exclusive news on this podcast, but if you like Mark Steel then you will like this. Worth listening if only to hear the phrase "What the f*ck is going on?" being sung in many different musical genres from Death Metal through Rap to classical string quartet.

I have tried listening to some more right-wing Podcasts such as those from the Telegraph, but currently they just sound delusional with the belief that the Tories aren't as bad as they seem, whilst every breaking news story seems to show them worse than previously imagined.

Iain Dale wanted to stand in tunbridge wells.
But someone uncovered him saying he didn’t like tunbridge wells in a historic broadcast.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I quite like the people they have calling in on a Monday morning on 5Live, but that's pretty much the only coverage I've actively sought out.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
“For the Many” with Iain Dale and Jackie Smith is worth a listen.
I find that hard to believe.

I wish John Crace would do his own podcast. Not just on politics, but on his health stuff too. He's one of the few people still worth reading at The Guardian.

Top Bottom