More western asian slavery - Saudi Arabia this time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
FIFA won't do anything. They made over $7 bn from the Qatar World Cup and have yet to do anything about the so-called "Legacy Fund" they set up.

It'll be considerably worse in Saudi Arabia (the only nation to submit a bid to host the 2034 World Cup).

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not condoning it, but, such things have been happening in "that area" for many, many years. I worked in Dubai and Bahrain well over 25 years ago, the treatment of Asian labour was often appalling. Whilst they have the oil wealth, they have a charmed life in terms of doing as they wish.

Beebo

Veteran
Not condoning it, but, such things have been happening in "that area" for many, many years. I worked in Dubai and Bahrain well over 25 years ago, the treatment of Asian labour was often appalling. Whilst they have the oil wealth, they have a charmed life in terms of doing as they wish.

Like you I have spent some time in the deserts of Oman and Dubai working with construction teams, so I know exactly what you mean.

The local man who was my chaperone literally referred to their home help, often an African or Indian girls as “our slave”. it has to be remember that a lot of these elderly men would literally have been nomadic tribesmen in the 1960s. So they have come a huge way economically in 50 years, but socially they are still way behind.

The treatment of the Asian men labouring in the desert is something else. They live in huts, often work 6-7 days a week and are treated like dirt, fed poorly, with zero provision for free time or a social life. Then flown home once they are done with.

It’s a three tier class system, Emirati are top dog, with Europeans tolerated as second class citizens because they bring money and respectability. But our rights are very limited if things go wrong and the brown stuff can hit the fan very fast. Every expat can tell you a story about someone leaving on an emergency midnight flight and never coming back.

Asian and African workers have no rights and treated like dirt.

I would never go on holiday to Dubai for this very reason. I’ve seen too much of life behind the scenes. It’s a horrible place once you scratch off the veneer of bling.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Even I know about this stuff - it's been on the Archers, you know! But I bet it's worse in Dubai* than Ambridge ...

*Saudi, Qatar ...

never listened to The Archers, nor have I been to/worked in Qatar, so, no personal experience of either :laugh:

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I could hum the theme tune but not the anthem.
Does that help?

Didn’t Billy Connolly once suggest that God Save the Queen be replaced by the Archers theme tune?

A great improvement.

Top Bottom