Morons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I think what we need is more public activism, not less, there's plenty to be angry about and a spectacular lack of leadership on some pretty serious issues....

Yes, but what if someone calls you out for not wearing (or equally possible actually wearing) hemp derived clothing .??

How would you cope with the cries of 'hypocrisy' as you go about existing, and carrying on living as best you can, in the system as it currently exists now.??

Tough one eh..

D

Deleted member 28

Yes, but what if someone calls you out for not wearing (or equally possible actually wearing) hemp derived clothing .??

How would you cope with the cries of 'hypocrisy' as you go about existing, and carrying on living as best you can, in the system as it currently exists now.??

Tough one eh..

He seems to cope OK now, flying around the World 'for work ' as he does.

stowie

He seems to cope OK now, flying around the World 'for work ' as he does.

At a local "town meeting" around cycling infrastructure there were cries of "hypocrisy" for anyone who drove and was supportive of the cycling schemes. Which, I realised, is a lazy argument to justify the status quo and not to think too much.

My response after consideration was "whilst the music plays, I dance". That is, whilst the framework pushes me into a certain behaviour, don't be surprised if I behave in that way even if I think it is a source of problems.

If someone's work demands that they travel and fly places there is a choice. Either do it or not. And not doing it won't make a difference to anyone other than the person refusing whilst the framework exists to push people doing that job to travel.

mudsticks

Squire
I like the idea of a Harris weed jacket.
Don't imagine I'm not working on it..

At a local "town meeting" around cycling infrastructure there were cries of "hypocrisy" for anyone who drove and was supportive of the cycling schemes. Which, I realised, is a lazy argument to justify the status quo and not to think too much.

My response after consideration was "whilst the music plays, I dance". That is, whilst the framework pushes me into a certain behaviour, don't be surprised if I behave in that way even if I think it is a source of problems.

If someone's work demands that they travel and fly places there is a choice. Either do it or not. And not doing it won't make a difference to anyone other than the person refusing whilst the framework exists to push people doing that job to travel.

Well exactly but it's an easy bit of lazy (non) thinking, and also lazy journalistic trope that gets trotted out routinely by tabloid types

To excuse , and even prop up doing nothing, maintaining the status quo,whilst rubbishing anyone trying to bring about change even as they themselves operate in less than ideal circumstances.

It's supposedly a 'gotcha' in some folks minds but it really isn't..

For example, I use diesel tractors a bit on my farm..
"Evil hypocritical use of hydrocarbons" I hear you cry .

Of course I might like to have been using a battery powered tractor for materials handling, and my minimal cultivations over the years..

Or some other even more benign tech.

But the development of affordable non fossil fuel technology like that has been suppressed,

The returns on producing good food , grown in more environmentally friendly ways are held down by the current system that usually relies on using those big amount of fossil fuel usage.
And which is based on an extractive / exploitative approach.

So even if battery powered tractors were better*..
Could I have purchased one on the modest profits made by my business??
Unlikely

(*And of course we can talk about the embodied energy of newly manufactured goods versus keeping old things going too, but that's another part of the puzzle)

D

Deleted member 28

Don't imagine I'm not working on it..

Well exactly but it's an easy bit of lazy (non) thinking, and also lazy journalistic trope that gets trotted out routinely by tabloid types

To excuse , and even prop up doing nothing, maintaining the status quo,whilst rubbishing anyone trying to bring about change even as they themselves operate in less than ideal circumstances.

It's supposedly a 'gotcha' in some folks minds but it really isn't..

For example, I use diesel tractors a bit on my farm..
"Evil hypocritical use of hydrocarbons" I hear you cry .

Of course I might like to have been using a battery powered tractor for materials handling, and my minimal cultivations over the years..

Or some other even more benign tech.

But the development of affordable non fossil fuel technology like that has been suppressed,

The returns on producing good food , grown in more environmentally friendly ways are held down by the current system that usually relies on using those big amount of fossil fuel usage.
And which is based on an extractive / exploitative approach.

So even if battery powered tractors were better*..
Could I have purchased one on the modest profits made by my business??
Unlikely

(*And of course we can talk about the embodied energy of newly manufactured goods versus keeping old things going too, but that's another part of the puzzle)

Well I like riding classic motorcycles, 2 stroke scooters and old campervans so not doing it won't make a difference to anyone but me then?

mudsticks

Squire
Well I like riding classic motorcycles, 2 stroke scooters and old campervans so not doing it won't make a difference to anyone but me then?
Everything 'makes a difference' one way or another, it's a matter of scale of course.

But the current consensus seems to be that keeping older vehicles going, keeping them well maintained, and driving them for maximum fuel efficiency, and only for essential journeys, is the way to go if you're concerned about reducing your carbon emissions from personal motorised transport.

i don't suppose you're going massively long distance on a two stroke scooter ?

Just like I don't spend any more time than strictly necessary using my tractors.

As they're not super comfy to be sitting in all day long.

Was it an "essential" journey?

Could the journey have been made using public transport?
Had a quick check as it's a fair question.
I could feasibly have got to my destination by public transport. Bus, 2 trains, Taxi, 4 to 5 hours at best, longer than the car at 3hrs.
But I would not have been able to deliver a box of frozen product to our lab on the way home by train (nor drop my colleague at Birmingham Airport en-route).

Top Bottom