'At Pace'....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It arrived on the scene suddenly, near the start of Covid, a whole new Conservative speak. All of a sudden, stuff was happening 'At Pace', or 'At Scale', no longer quickly or urgently, Bigly (sic) or in large quantities/ volumes/numbers, but just at pace and at scale.
Did anyone else notice or is it just me?
It seems to become part of the new speaking....
It annoys.

D

Deleted member 28

Christ, this one's scraping the barrel even for you.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It arrived on the scene suddenly, near the start of Covid, a whole new Conservative speak. All of a sudden, stuff was happening 'At Pace', or 'At Scale', no longer quickly or urgently, Bigly (sic) or in large quantities/ volumes/numbers, but just at pace and at scale.
It annoys.

Agreed, annoying... but.... just the latest in a long line of using new phases, to mean absolutely nothing new. A familiar "technique" for most, if nat all, of my working life, I even joined in, on occasions.

I think the term "bullshit" describes it quite well.

It annoys.

Delivering 'At pace' has been part of Civil Service job specifications/competencies for a decade or so.

On the basis of 'plagiarising with pride' I suspect i came from there.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Another curious linguistic tic is 'serve' or 'give service' to describe some jobs. We hear here of men 'serving' in prisons or 'giving service' in the RAF. So what's that about, an effort to establish continuity with the Round Table and Code of Chivalry?
Might these plain speaking chaps in fact simply be working for a wage?

D

Deleted member 28

Another curious linguistic tic is 'serve' or 'give service' to describe some jobs. We hear here of men 'serving' in prisons or 'giving service' in the RAF. So what's that about, an effort to establish continuity with the Round Table and Code of Chivalry?
I assume it's relating to seving one's country or Monarch but obviously that isn't something you would like is it?

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I assume it's relating to seving one's country or Monarch but obviously that isn't something you would like is it?
Exactly. We're back in Camelot, or as Malory might have put it:
"Put the f*cking kettle on, you green c**t!" joshed Gawain.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
As long as we are not "going forward" at pace I don't really care. It's all PR bullsh*t as used by all governments to add a bit of polish to the turds they serve up.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Doesn't one move 'apace' rather than 'at pace'?

eg. 'Construction of the new Death Star continues apace, my lord.'

lazybloke

Regular
Doesn't feel at all curious to me, but I work in a service industry so I already associate employment with service.
The service industry is massive, so probably not an unusual perception.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I've yet to hear anyone claim to 'serve' in the Health Service or Civil Service or Financial Services, people just have jobs.
"I served as a nursing auxiliary in the West Kent Eczema unit": no you didn't.
"I served in the Mau Mau Rebellion": thankyou for your service.
What distinguishes the roles that we ennoble in this way, larding on the suggestion of sacrifice and duty and higher calling?

Top Bottom