Bristolians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
James could probably help himself a bit by buying a smaller car (assuming the big 4x4 behind him is his of course). If his neighbour opposite did the same the road might be passable.

OP
OP
qigong chimp

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Or, when buying a house without space to store heavy machinery, deciding against owning heavy machinery, or giving some thought to where he's going to store it should he desperately need it to drive his gravel bike with disc brakes out to the moors for photo ops.
James has really touched a nerve.

mjr

There's nowhere else to park in Easton.

Except all the car parks, like both sides of the city end of Easton Road only used by those living in the blocks of flats who tired of competing for the even more limited roadside parking there. They seem to have spaces because most SUV owners would rather use the pavement near their house than leave their status symbol out of sight. It's a win-win-win: no need to pay for a permit, less walking for the motorists, and forces scummy pedestrians to stay away from their front window and door.

I can appreciate both sides of the story really. Around us, there are many houses on long strecthes of main road, and none of them have off road parking. Furthermore, there are no free car parks or parking areas either. The nearest car park is private/owned by the pub (and you'd get clamped if you were to park there whilst not using the pub). The other one is public but is £1.20/hour to park. In fact I can't even think of anywhere in the city and surrounds where you can park off-road. I'd like to say that I would not entertain buying or renting a house if I had to park the car on the street. But many people are not in a financial position to choose.

If the council came along and banned street parking then I doubt any of those houses would sell anywhere near to market value, and there would be a huge outcry. I don't know what the answer is, apart from don't have a car if you want to buy a house, but that is highly impractical for most. I know where I live (we have a driveway), if I didn't have a car then I couldn't get my son to school without taking 2, possibly 3 buses which would be costly and take over an hour each way

Bazzer

If the council came along and banned street parking then I doubt any of those houses would sell anywhere near to market value, and there would be a huge outcry.
But wouldn't the market value, be that of a property without vehicle parking?

spen666

I can appreciate both sides of the story really. Around us, there are many houses on long strecthes of main road, and none of them have off road parking. Furthermore, there are no free car parks or parking areas either. The nearest car park is private/owned by the pub (and you'd get clamped if you were to park there whilst not using the pub). The other one is public but is £1.20/hour to park. In fact I can't even think of anywhere in the city and surrounds where you can park off-road. I'd like to say that I would not entertain buying or renting a house if I had to park the car on the street. But many people are not in a financial position to choose.

If the council came along and banned street parking then I doubt any of those houses would sell anywhere near to market value
, and there would be a huge outcry. I don't know what the answer is, apart from don't have a car if you want to buy a house, but that is highly impractical for most. I know where I live (we have a driveway), if I didn't have a car then I couldn't get my son to school without taking 2, possibly 3 buses which would be costly and take over an hour each way
The market value is what people would pay for the house, so the houses will sell for the market value.

All uphill

If the council came along and banned street parking then I doubt any of those houses would sell anywhere near to market value, and there would be a huge outcry. I don't know what the answer is, apart from don't have a car if you want to buy a house, but that is highly impractical for most. I know where I live (we have a driveway), if I didn't have a car then I couldn't get my son to school without taking 2, possibly 3 buses which would be costly and take over an hour each way

I understand your points.

We have got into this deeply car-dependent and car-prioritised model of cities in the UK, with its advantages and disadvantages.

If we are to make our cities and their populations healthier, safer, cleaner, more attractive and more energy efficient, there will need to be change in the way we use public spaces.

Car users and house owners do not have a god-given priority over these public spaces, they are for everyone.

I suspect, as in Groningen, that the benefits of prioritising pedestrians and cyclists will give a big net boost to Bristol's economy and house prices.

In the meantime there is a big job of persuasion and explanation to be done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom