AuroraSaab
Epic Member
I'm glad it failed. Every sensible amendment was voted down by the committee. Hopefully they'll go away and take the concerns seriously and come back in a couple of years with a workable bill.
Other opinions are available.I'm glad it failed. Every sensible amendment was voted down by the committee. Hopefully they'll go away and take the concerns seriously and come back in a couple of years with a workable bill.
There is something grimly funny about Burnham (apparently) withdrawing his support for a donations cap at the behest of the unions who were afraid they'd lose their monetary leverage over Labour, then being Top Trumped by a crypto billionaire (potentially) giving Reform £36mn. Serves him/them right, to be honest, given it was as plain as day that the far right would outspend the unions by several factors.
It must be still on the table because Delo has bunged it in one lump instead of monthly instalments.
Also I find it has highlighted how many MPs are basing their votes on their personal views rather than representing their electorate. Our system is "representative" not delegating decisions (despite what Burke might think). My impression from reports and speaches I've seen is too many MPs were talking about their vote based on their personal views.I'm most annoyed by the MPs who couldn't be arsed to attend.
Being reported his original intent £1m a months until next election but doing it now as a lump sum in case rules are changed and the revised rules stop him.That's strange. The report I read had it at £1mn/month for 36 months. 🤔
That's strange. The report I read had it at £1mn/month for 36 months. 🤔
I'm glad it failed. Every sensible amendment was voted down by the committee. Hopefully they'll go away and take the concerns seriously and come back in a couple of years with a workable bill.
Reported when it previously went to HoL that one amendment tabled was requiring the individual seeking end-of-life help would also need to get their financial circumstances independently reviewed (as well as the financial circumstances of their close family). And HoL claim they were not filibustering.How many amendments were tabled? How many of those were 'sensible'?
The difficulty comes is what is and is not a "sensible amendment" is a matter of opinion. Maybe to some very committed religious MPs requiring a 12 month review (on a bill requiring life expectancy of 6 months) would be considered a "sensible amendment" (ie to destroy the bill).I'm glad it failed. Every sensible amendment was voted down by the committee.
That was his original intention.
I was intrigued by this bit……
"My conclusion from Reform's recent troubles is that they should spend less time trying to raise funds to compete on equal terms and more time preparing for government."
In other words, they can’t be trusted dodgy dealings..
Mandatory pregnancy tests: Requiring all applicants to take a pregnancy test—including men.Reported when it previously went to HoL that one amendment tabled was requiring the individual seeking end-of-life help would also need to get their financial circumstances independently reviewed (as well as the financial circumstances of their close family). And HoL claim they were not filibustering.
Whilst the amendment was phrased to detect financial abuse except reality is default inheritance would be passing estate to immediate family anyway and there was no proposed way for that "financial review" to be assessed by any specialist able to detect financial abuse.
This.Our MPs are weak - in many cases wanting it to happen but not wanting to be responsible.
Whilst continually appearing on our TVs telling us how they are making "the difficult decisions".Our MPs are weak - in many cases wanting it to happen but not wanting to be responsible.