Burnham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pblakeney

Shaman
I hate Brexit and wish we never left, but wouldn’t want to go back as a full member because the terms on offer from the EU will be awful.
They will demand that we accept the euro, shengen and we will no longer benefit from our rebate.

I've been making the same two points from early 2016.
1. The EU was not to blame for our ills.
2. We would never get the same conditions back.
Leaving was a national act of financial suicide all in the name of sovereignty, ie nowt.
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
True, but it would enable us to travel more freely, to control immigration via access to SAFE, to tour our orchestras and bands, to re-join key scientific programmes etc and the key one - boost the economy because we could once again freely trade with our nearest and largest trading partner.

All that is true, but most people travel as freely as they want or need. The three months in six residential rules only affect a few and holiday delays are just inconveniences, immigration  should be easier to control, most people are not musicians and do not take part in scientific programmes.

i am not arguing for or against future EU membership but explaining how little most people know (or care) about the finer details of membership.

If we do have a future referendum for membership I hope the majority for (ir against) is much greater than 4% or there will be more conflict.
 
Last edited:
No. I think a lot of people found the previous debate divisive and have no desire for a rerun. Not that many people see an ongoing disaster.
Rejoining is a distant prospect, not least because the EU needs convincing that we aren't too much trouble.

Step 1 is for Burnham to cross one of the red lines and see whether he gets shot down.

Step 2 is wait until there's a measure able economic benefit etc.

Rejoining is more like Step 10.
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I've been making the same two points from early 2016.
1. The EU was not to blame for our ills.
2. We would never get the same conditions back.
Leaving was a national act of financial suicide all in the name of sovereignty, ie nowt.

Financial self-harm definitely, but I am not sure about the finality of suicide.
 

AuroraSaab

Epic Member
The majority of the public don't care that it's harder to retire to Spain, or go on the Erasmus exchange, and I don't see people being that bothered about airport queues either. I don't think there's any appetite to re run a Brexit vote. On here is the only place I see people even discussing Brexit.

Interesting that Canada struck an EU deal but weren't interested in full membership because it involved giving up some sovereignty. There would be interest in associate membership I'm sure but I honestly think the whole 'Let's just rejoin' is a non starter.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Pblakeney

Shaman
Financial self-harm definitely, but I am not sure about the finality of suicide.

Fair. There are many reasons that I am not a factual author. It was still an incredibly stupid decision to take when it was obvious that we would lose an incredibly good deal and get nothing positive in return. Blue passports don't count as positive, just decoration.
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Fair. There are many reasons that I am not a factual author. It was still an incredibly stupid decision to take when it was obvious that we would lose an incredibly good deal and get nothing positive in return. Blue passports don't count as positive, just decoration.

There would have been less of a case for returning if the much vaunted huge international trade deals that were awaiting us had actually been realised instead of the minnows we got.
 
The majority of the public don't care that it's harder to retire to Spain, or go on the Erasmus exchange, and I don't see people being that bothered about airport queues either. I don't think there's any appetite to re run a Brexit vote. On here is the only place I see people even discussing Brexit.

Interesting that Canada struck an EU deal but weren't interested in full membership because it involved giving up some sovereignty. There would be interest in associate membership I'm sure but I honestly think the whole 'Let's just rejoin' is a non starter.

This is why the timing is significant. They are encouraging the EU to be reasonable and treat us with the flexibility they afford Canada, or csrry on being spiteful to deter thenincreasing number of countries leaning towards right wing nutters. I'm guessing the latter.

The majority of people find there to be a cumulative inconvenice of all of the barriers and costs imposed.
 
They get longer visas to work in Australia now. I think that's still the done thing, but I'm out of touch.
Isn't that kinda the point? Not being able to get a visa, and needing one for Europe in the first place?

Besides, most of them come back when they see the cost of living in Sydney, and the standard of living in Darwin.
 
Top Bottom