Burnham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dorset Boy

Über Member
I see they are moving onto student accommodation now, but I can't help feeling they've been a bit slow on this, given that the government and vice chancellors are doing their best to shrink the sector rapidly.

You're so behind the times!
There have been non-uni run student accommodation blocks around the country for years now.
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It must be remembered that when we talk about universal care there are very different levels of "care" for the infirm elderly based on money. If you are one of the people below the asset threshold and get free "care" paid for by state and council, then the quality of that "care" is usually pretty basic and shitty. If you have assets and can afford to pay then at least you can have some dignity left in the manner you are "cared" for in a more luxurious care home.

When I was working I went into quite a few residential care and nursing homes to talk to their management and staff. Some of them were OK, others I would not have put my worst enemy in. In the end I refused to go into any more as it was too depressing.

I have accumulated more assets than I need to survive comfortably and my kids can have all of what's left when we are both gone, but I have made sure that if the worst comes to the worst and either or both my wife and I need it then we can afford to pay for a decent level of "care" for up to ten years each. I do not trust the state to look after me or my wife in a dignified way.
 

Dorset Boy

Über Member
Yes.
On the other hand, you are supposed to die within a year of retirement, if not sooner.

When the male State Pension age was set just after WWII, male life expectancy was 64.
Nationally it's about 85 now.
Medical care is still supposed to be to the grave.
Domicilliary care isn't.
 

Dorset Boy

Über Member
Bet Trump would be furious if he found this out:
The last American Civil War pension was paid in May 2020 following the death of the final recipient, Irene Triplett, on May 31, 2020.
Her father, Mose Triplett, fought for the Confederacy and the Union in the civil war, which began in 1861 and ended with the defeat of the slave power in 1865. He applied for his Union pension 20 years after the war and in 1930, when his daughter was born, he was 83.
So 1885 to 2020, or paid out for 135 years!
 
Msm today. Continual repetition that 'Andy' is prepared to consider removing the triple lock to pay for social care.
Not once had anyone asked to see the maths on that. Even if they only understand that one costs 'a lot' and the other would only provide 'nowhere near that amount' why are they just parroting nonsense.
 

Beebo

Legendary Member
His speech was very good.
He set out his idea for an uplifting future vision for the UK.
He just has to make it work now, which is the hard part.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
He's announced it will become a double lock from 2030, higher of 2.5% or inflation.
Link to earnings to go.

He's grasped the nettle. Unlike thw Tories who had a quadruple lock the last time I heard them try to come up woth a policy.

He's also for the first time broken the taboo of admitting that 52% of the country were absolute choppers for believing in Brexit. I think it is quite savvy to link it to uncontrolled immigration. Not sure its true necessarily, but its good politicing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Pblakeney

Shaman
Msm today. Continual repetition that 'Andy' is prepared to consider removing the triple lock to pay for social care.
Not once had anyone asked to see the maths on that. Even if they only understand that one costs 'a lot' and the other would only provide 'nowhere near that amount' why are they just parroting nonsense.

Politicking.
 
Top Bottom