Computer Corner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Squire
Ages ago in Office 365 they introduced autosaving to Cloud.
By default, and making it difficult to make that autosave local. That's how enshitification works.
 

Pblakeney

Shaman
But that isn't new or different.
Word has always saved an autorecover to the local drive.

Ages ago in Office 365 they introduced autosaving to Cloud.

As Psamathe and CR said.
Deliberately making a product more awkward to use, and worse. In other words, enshitification.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

icowden

Pharaoh
As Psamathe and CR said.
Deliberately making a product more awkward to use, and worse. In other words, enshitification.

As I said. Not the case.

The product is the same to use. Auto Cloud Backup was a new feature which improved the product.
Autorecover saving has not changed.
 

Pblakeney

Shaman
As I said. Not the case.

The product is the same to use. Auto Cloud Backup was a new feature which improved the product.
Autorecover saving has not changed.

From the OP. "...Microsoft Word documents no longer auto-save if you are not saving them to one of their own proprietary cloud service."
One of their subscription proprietary cloud services, and what if you are not online?
 

icowden

Pharaoh
From the OP. "...Microsoft Word documents no longer auto-save if you are not saving them to one of their own proprietary cloud service."
One of their subscription proprietary cloud services, and what if you are not online?

From me:

That isn't true

Microsoft Word documents have never autosaved to anywhere else.

In the 1990s they introduced auto-recover which saves files to temporary storage and recovers your document.
2000s - local versioning was introduced.
2010s - Cloud Autosave was introduced which saves to the cloud in real time but only with Sharepoint or One Drive.

The only recent change to autosave is that it is now set to "ON" by default.

1785850894487.png
 

Pblakeney

Shaman
From me:

That isn't true

Microsoft Word documents have never autosaved to anywhere else.

In the 1990s they introduced auto-recover which saves files to temporary storage and recovers your document.
2000s - local versioning was introduced.
2010s - Cloud Autosave was introduced which saves to the cloud in real time but only with Sharepoint or One Drive.

The only recent change to autosave is that it is now set to "ON" by default.

View attachment 16604

Fair.
Imagine someone posting something misleading on the internet.
 

Psamathe

Squire
From me:

That isn't true

Microsoft Word documents have never autosaved to anywhere else.

In the 1990s they introduced auto-recover which saves files to temporary storage and recovers your document.
2000s - local versioning was introduced.
2010s - Cloud Autosave was introduced which saves to the cloud in real time but only with Sharepoint or One Drive.

The only recent change to autosave is that it is now set to "ON" by default.
Certainly Mac versions did autosave to local drives for some time. I have several spreadsheets I won't put on any internet connected storage (eg bank account spreadsheets) and for a time I used to have Autosave enabled in Excel for them (to local drives).

And Mac versions no longer support Autosave to non-OneDrive devices.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

FishFright

Well-Known Member
Trying to persuade Microslop that you don't want One Drive is getting progressively harder
 

Mr Celine

Über Member
Replacing 'save as' with 'create a copy' would stop me using word.

I still use word 2003 on my own home PC. It's much easier to use that the enshittified bloatware I have to use at work.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Replacing 'save as' with 'create a copy' would stop me using word.

I still use word 2003 on my own home PC. It's much easier to use that the enshittified bloatware I have to use at work.

It's one reason I stuck with Lotus Word Pro & 123 for ages, as they were tiny programs that loaded in a second and did just as much as I wanted to do. And no fucking Clippy asking me if I wanted fries too.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I've got a laptop in France with SSD memory of just 120Gb, which should be fine, since most of my documents are on Google and really all I do on it otherwise is to edit photos and don't store that many of the resized (smaller) results on it. Anything bigger I offload to a 1Tb hard drive.

Well, I was down to under 20Gb left, so had as much of a clean-up as I could, but that only saved about 10Gb. Ferreting around, I discovered under 'Users' that I had 40Gb memory used under AppData > Packages, and that nearly all of that was being used by Clip Champ (Microsoft's idiots' video editor), and that it could be safely deleted, being temporary data from past video 'projects'. Combined with the fact that Clip Champ now proudly says that it's moving to a cloud storage system that will only use One Drive to store projects on (hello enshittification!) made it an easy decision to junk the lot, app and data. I'm going to try Shotcut as a replacement – I don't need anything fancy, just lightweight and reasonably simple/intuitive to play around with for short phone or drone videos.
 

icowden

Pharaoh
I'm going to try Shotcut as a replacement – I don't need anything fancy, just lightweight and reasonably simple/intuitive to play around with for short phone or drone videos.
Probably overkill but I've found DaVinci Resolve to be pretty good for video editing.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Probably overkill but I've found DaVinci Resolve to be pretty good for video editing.

Thanks. I'll see how I get on with Shotcut first - it appealed being lightweight, open source and free. Whatever I use, it needs to be easy enough to use in the basic form, as I do so little video stuff that I don't build up any fluency or memory from repetition.
 

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Just read this thread about someone installing Linux, and it leaves me very happy I just put up with the mostly minor annoyances of Windows.

https://bsky.app/profile/nickharkaway.com/post/3meebmdvj6c2p

Thread assembled for non-Blueskyers.

https://skywriter.blue/pages/did:plc:7bdyw3t7ynnirri4m3dr3bjm/post/3meebmdvj6c2p

This might prove useful, thanks. I'm pro boot-text accessiblility and fed up with Windows 7 messing up.
Also hope eventually to get video-conferencing so trying Mint. New Lenovos have crapolo mouse parameters and my dodgy fingers scroll like crazy. I've managed to insert fat side-bars, but wondering if further trackpoint tweaking is do-able below 0.5. Interesting.
 
Top Bottom