Conflicting Signals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Interesting listening to radio news this morning with conflicting stories.

People will choose the stories that allign to their views

By Elections
2 huge defeats for Tories with a 29% swing in one to LibDems.
But failed to take Uxbridge where majority was only 7000.

Economy
Lots of stories about problems in economy in many sectors & inflation rampant
Yet Easyjet post record profits & bookings for Winter Holidays are high

Mortgages
Yesterday fixed rates on mortgages on offer dropped v slightly
However Bank of England indicating they expect base rates to rise on 3 August

Stories can be spun both ways

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Cool story, bro.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
istockphoto-1128990168-612x612.jpg

On 'conflicting sigals' the media bigging down of Chinas economy has baffled me considering how large some western debt levels are.
This China Daily story uses a tone I have sympathy for.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202311/06/WS65484924a31090682a5ec91c.html

These stories about how the Chinese economy is one step away from failure is a story that has been proven to be BS over and over again in this part of the world.

It's not as healthy as it was but no where near as bad as reported.

albion

Guru
The other positive over there is the, seemingly usual headline 'Xi stresses mutual understanding'. I suspect he wants China to stay entwined with the west, despite bellicose wishes from some in the far right here west.

The other positive over there is the, seemingly usual headline 'Xi stresses mutual understanding'. I suspect he wants China to stay entwined with the west, despite bellicose wishes from some in the far right here west.

That's true but not just from the right, the left too. It's from all sides I'm afraid.

I'm no fan of Xi or the CCP but most of what's published is just BS about China and HK. Especially from The Guardian, who have in recent years just become left wing version of the Daily Mail.

People do need to understand the Chinese way of thinking and doing things.

Moodyman

That's true but not just from the right, the left too. It's from all sides I'm afraid.

I'm no fan of Xi or the CCP but most of what's published is just BS about China and HK. Especially from The Guardian, who have in recent years just become left wing version of the Daily Mail.

People do need to understand the Chinese way of thinking and doing things.

You’re asking for too much. Not only is the average Joe thick and uninterested, the anti-China PR machine (in the Anglosphere) is too extensive and relentless.

Ever since the BRI and the 2016 5 year plan, the yanks were awakened to the fact that China may seek to develop beyond just a manufacturing hub. Hence, the new found concern for the Uighurs and Hong Kongers.

Last edited:
You’re asking for too much. Not only is the average Joe thick and uninterested, the anti-China PR machine (in the Anglosphere) is too extensive and relentless.

Ever since the BRI and the 2016 5 year plan, the yanks were awakened to the fact that China may seek to develop beyond just a manufacturing hub. Hence, the new found concern for the Uighurs and Hong Kongers.

Hong Kong is nothing like what's being reported in the west. If it was as bad as that, I wouldn't be living here.

Top Bottom