Donald I, emperor of the world.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Canada is the only country to have not agreed a trade deal with the UK following Brexit, so my suspicion is that they will struggle with the EU. It surprises me that they haven't decided to reopen talks on the UK trade deal.

Ambition, given the relative sizes of the markets? Is it so surprising?
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Psamathe

Squire
Canada is the only country to have not agreed a trade deal with the UK following Brexit, so my suspicion is that they will struggle with the EU. It surprises me that they haven't decided to reopen talks on the UK trade deal.
Ambition, given the relative sizes of the markets? Is it so surprising?
Unsure if you include it in "ambition" but also scope. Broader scope can get more complex. I'm not aware as to how broad Canada-UK deal was covering but I wonder if the EU one might be narrow in scope given that a lot will require adhering to EU standards.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

PurplePenguin

Über Member
Unsure if you include it in "ambition" but also scope. Broader scope can get more complex. I'm not aware as to how broad Canada-UK deal was covering but I wonder if the EU one might be narrow in scope given that a lot will require adhering to EU standards.

The Canada-UK deal fell apart due to hormone fed cows and pigs and UK cheese access. The EU are going to be even less keen on hormones. Ultimately, every other country and plenty of new ones have agreed deals with the UK, so Canada is the outlier.
 

Psamathe

Squire
The Canada-UK deal fell apart due to hormone fed cows and pigs and UK cheese access. The EU are going to be even less keen on hormones. Ultimately, every other country and plenty of new ones have agreed deals with the UK, so Canada is the outlier.
But then maybe Canada-EU negotiate a trade deal that doesn't cover hormone fed cows and cheese.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
The Canada-UK deal fell apart due to hormone fed cows and pigs and UK cheese access. The EU are going to be even less keen on hormones. Ultimately, every other country and plenty of new ones have agreed deals with the UK, so Canada is the outlier.

True/fair re the hormone thing. Though the EU is capable of doing trade agreements too, even if they drive a hard bargain for access to their market. https://policy.trade.ec.europa.eu/e...try-and-region/negotiations-and-agreements_en
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Psamathe

Squire
True/fair re the hormone thing. Though the EU is capable of doing trade agreements too, even if they drive a hard bargain for access to their market. https://policy.trade.ec.europa.eu/e...try-and-region/negotiations-and-agreements_en
That is an important aspect. I suspect that how far one party is prepared to compromise depends on the potential market. Compromise can equate to costs but eU is a much larger market that UK so any costs of complying with EU requirements can be offset by the increased profits from a much larger market.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
"Associate Member" isn't a thing and certainly won't involve free movement. I read this as opening the door to cherry picking.

But not for the naughty UK.

I suspect it'll probably be more like a Blue Peter badge, or Emeritus post... but if it did include free movement, that would be very interesting (so is unlikely to happen).
 

Psamathe

Squire
"Associate Member" isn't a thing and certainly won't involve free movement. I read this as opening the door to cherry picking.

But not for the naughty UK.
I suspect EU would need to be more confident about stability of UK attitude towards EU before spending too much effort on the relationship.

Canada maybe looks more like longer term potential but go through developing a closer relationship with UK only for next UK General Election to meet predictions of recent polls and Fárage will be tearing up those agreements (again).
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Psamathe

Squire
The Canada-UK deal fell apart due to hormone fed cows and pigs and UK cheese access. The EU are going to be even less keen on hormones. Ultimately, every other country and plenty of new ones have agreed deals with the UK, so Canada is the outlier.
Parts of Carney's speech to EU on TV and he specifically ruled out agricultural products and specifically included energy, critical minerals, technology and services.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
So RFK Jnr announces that the US government is "also now looking at chemtrails".

Yup, they are looking at water vapour.

I'm quite expecting an announcement on alchemy any day now.
 

Pross

Guru
So RFK Jnr announces that the US government is "also now looking at chemtrails".

Yup, they are looking at water vapour.

I'm quite expecting an announcement on alchemy any day now.

Seems like shooting themselves in the foot as I thought it was the Government that creates the chemtrails to control the minds of the masses. I guess they’ll say they looked into it and don’t worry, it’s all fine because that’s what they want you to believe.
 
Top Bottom