Fuel theft is on the rise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Fuel Thefts Soar as Thousands Drive Off Without Paying at Forecourts. In France you have to pay first. Many have false plates now so nobody cares.
Stations are moaning about losing money but don’t seem willing to install bank payment machines at the pumps.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Fuel Thefts Soar as Thousands Drive Off Without Paying at Forecourts. In France you have to pay first. Many have false plates now so nobody cares.
Stations are moaning about losing money but don’t seem willing to install bank payment machines at the pumps.

Probably most are franchised and the petro chemicals control the specifications of the pumps. Tesco when paying via card, you need to install your payment first. Unfortunately they still have pay at kiosk too.

What is very common, and I only found out recently, is quality oil being stolen from the likes of Halfords. I had to ring around a few stores to get the oil. Its now being kept in the back store room in certain towns and cities.

It will quickly change if the thieving bastards carry on. Make people come in to pre pay at the kiosk. That would work

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Our local ASDA has touch card readers at pump. Max spend £99 worth of fuel.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

only authorise fuel by forcing customers to go into shop first

Like France. We spent ages trying to find someone to turn pumps on on our drive through France trip. One lady was on the bakery, tills and petrol all at once. Maybe short staffed.

I've seen a similar thing on Peppa Pig. Miss Rabbit does everything.

Moodyman

Like France. We spent ages trying to find someone to turn pumps on on our drive through France trip. One lady was on the bakery, tills and petrol all at once. Maybe short staffed.

I’ve had no such trouble on my French travels. Rock up to a bakery, order a baguette and a pastry and off I go.

When I ran out of fuel, I opened by gob and stuffed it. Them pedals don’t turn by themselves.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

I’ve had no such trouble on my French travels. Rock up to a bakery, order a baguette and a pastry and off I go.

When I ran out of fuel, I opened by gob and stuffed it. Them pedals don’t turn by themselves.

That was the early days of the TDF.

Here in Hong Kong, fuel stations have people on the forecourts that will fill up your car/van for you. They take your card, put it into the card machine on the pump, and they do the filling up, the card gets charged and you get the card on receipt handed back to you.

icowden

Legendary Member
And this information comes from where exactly?

Beebo

Veteran
All decisions about stopping thefts come with a cost benefit analysis.
If the garages really want to stop it they could. But it costs money and would either reduce profits or increase the cost for everyone.

icowden

Legendary Member
The obvious way to stop the thefts is to introduce measures to increase uptakes of EVs. No fuel to steal.

Top Bottom