Fundraising for Paralympian cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Certainly hope so! It still baffles me that it was moved here in the first place. Very, very poor moderation.

What pisses me off is, even if it was intended as a political discussion, that is specifically permitted, as shown in the founder's quote I posted earlier.

I'm not convinced mods are unaware of this, but because it mentioned the P word (🇵🇸) someone shat themselves.

And I note that, in contrast to other topics deemed to be political, this justification was not given within the thread Mazza posted seeking an answer to where his original thread went, but was instead kept within a private message.

The first sentence on the Sunbirds website is 'In light of the ongoing genocide ...' so I assume that is why it was deemed to be a 'highly political organisation' and inappropriate for the main board. It would leave the mods to have to make decisions about what was political or not with other posts for money raising, group or individual Go Fund Me's, Just Giving pages, or whatever. It's an area they obviously don't want to have to start navigating.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What pisses me off is, even if it was intended as a political discussion, that is specifically permitted, as shown in the founder's quote I posted earlier.

I'm not convinced mods are unaware of this, but because it mentioned the P word (🇵🇸) someone shat themselves.

And I note that, in contrast to other topics deemed to be political, this justification was not given within the thread Mazza posted seeking an answer to where his original thread went, but was instead kept within a private message.

£205 raised of the £200 target. Well done @Mazz!

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The first sentence on the Sunbirds website is 'In light of the ongoing genocide ...' so I assume that is why it was deemed to be a 'highly political organisation' and inappropriate for the main board. It would leave the mods to have to make decisions about what was political or not with other posts for money raising, group or individual Go Fund Me's, Just Giving pages, or whatever. It's an area they obviously don't want to have to start navigating.

Heaven forfend the moderators would actually have to, you know, moderate?

I wouldn't have an issue with their decision, but when images like the one I posted earlier are allowed without comment and a charity ride post isn't allowed? They're making things complicated for themselves.

It's either a blanket ban on anything vaguely political or they have to do a bit of work.

Heaven forfend the moderators would actually have to, you know, moderate?

I wouldn't have an issue with their decision, but when images like the one I posted earlier are allowed without comment and a charity ride post isn't allowed? They're making things complicated for themselves.

It's either a blanket ban on anything vaguely political or they have to do a bit of work.

I know, but they're unpaid volunteers (I think) so unless people want to put themselves forward as mods and argue that position I think you have to respect a blanket ban as being justified as it makes their lives easier. I personally wouldn't equate the Charles cartoon as equivalent to a fund raising appeal but it is important that the rules, whether we agree with them or not, are applied equally, I agree.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
The first sentence on the Sunbirds website is 'In light of the ongoing genocide ...' so I assume that is why it was deemed to be a 'highly political organisation' and inappropriate for the main board

Firstly, it is a genocide.

Secondly, that sentence is on another website and was not referenced in the original post.

Thirdly, any charity appeal can be deemed a political organisation since the existence of charities shows a failure of government.

The thread asked for support to get disabled cyclists, whose only crime appears to be being Palestinian, into the paralympics.

The thread should have been allowed to stand and if someone started arguing about the reasons for the war or the disproportionate and indiscriminate violence, that’s the point a mod can step in to keep it on track.

It was cowardly to remove the thread.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I know, but they're unpaid volunteers (I think) so unless people want to put themselves forward as mods and argue that position I think you have to respect a blanket ban as being justified as it makes their lives easier. I personally wouldn't equate the Charles cartoon as equivalent to a fund raising appeal but it is important that the rules, whether we agree with them or not, are applied equally, I agree.

They are. I've offered my time but never heard anything back.

But this is the point: the ban isn't blanket. And it's not just the Charlie boy cartoon, loads of stuff which is inappropriate for a "fun and friendly forum" doesn't get picked up on. Obvious trolling and inflammatory comments just off the top of my head... I can think of several users who say all kinds of stuff and never get pulled up on it.

Another issue is that the forum moderation team hasn't changed in a long, long time. This is never a good idea and results in issues, however minor they may seem.

I don't disagree with the rules being in place, but they're either applied consistently or aren't.

Firstly, it is a genocide.
That's a political statement in itself surely?
Secondly, that sentence is on another website and was not referenced in the original post.
But the text that you reproduced, which seems to be a copy of the original post, has that site as an embedded link.
Thirdly, any charity appeal can be deemed a political organisation since the existence of charities shows a failure of government.
Agreed, in some cases anyway.
The thread asked for support to get disabled cyclists, whose only crime appears to be being Palestinian, into the paralympics.
It just says Gaza Sunbirds; the link mentions they are trying to get in the Paraolympics. It doesn't make it clear that that the Olympic bid is where the money will go.
The thread should have been allowed to stand and if someone started arguing about the reasons for the war or the disproportionate and indiscriminate violence, that’s the point a mod can step in to keep it on track. It was cowardly to remove the thread.
I think if it had been a fund raiser to rebuild a kibbutz destroyed on October the 7th the mods would have moved that too. The point of establishing Naca was so mods didn't have to deal with the hassle of constantly checking in on threads and cleaning them up.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
That's a political statement in itself surely?

Yes. I’m not writing it on the main forum though.

But the text that you reproduced, which seems to be a copy of the original post, has that site as an embedded link.
Yes. But you’d need to go there to read it. Mazza’s thread asked for donations to support cyclists trying to get to the Paris paralympics, that’s all.

It just says Gaza Sunbirds; the link mentions they are trying to get in the Paraolympics. It doesn't make it clear that that the Olympic bid is where the money will go.

People can read the blurb and decide for themselves then. I did and was happy to give some money.
Those who aren’t sure about where the money is going can ignore the request and move on.

I think if it had been a fund raiser to rebuild a kibbutz destroyed on October the 7th the mods would have moved that too. The point of establishing Naca was so mods didn't have to deal with the hassle of constantly checking in on threads and cleaning them up.

We already have a suitable comparison: I posted an appeal for donations to a fundraiser for child victim’s of Putin’s war in Ukraine. Equally political but that’s not been deleted.

I wonder what the mods’ explanation would be for the contradiction.

albion

Guru
Maybe the mod was 'a politican'.

Psst, racism.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom