Has jobby been kicked out of the building?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

I covered court long enough to see fathers regularly locked up, then their sons when they became old enough to offend.

Sadly you are not alone in that observation.

When you have represented several generations of the same family you get a rather depressing view of parts of society

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Pale Rider

Veteran
Sadly you are not alone in that observation.

When you have represented several generations of the same family you get a rather depressing view of parts of society

I recall a barrister representing a member of a notorious criminal family.

He was able to truthfully say: "Unusually given his family name, my client has no previous convictions."

I reported the remark and the family duly went crackers.

The barrister later told me he literally told the family to f*ck off, because he was doing his job - representing his punter to the best of his ability.

A bit of collateral damage is neither here nor there.

But there's no need to worry about any of this because @theclaud will be along in a minute to tell us we are both talking shite.

Ian H

Guru

He was able to truthfully say: "Unusually given his family name, my client has no previous convictions."

The barrister later told me he literally told the family to f*ck off, because he was doing his job - representing his punter to the best of his ability.

But there's no need to worry about any of this because @theclaud will be along in a minute to tell us we are both talking shite.

A friend of ours is a solicitor dealing in criminal cases. She has some highly amusing stories. One of the best involved the drug-addict solicitor whose suppliers were mostly also his clients.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Hi @Pale Rider :hello:

Really good to see you back in amongst the fray. :okay:

How are you feeling champ? :becool:

Thanks.

I've had more welcomes here than I did on the other side, which is strange given the vast difference in membership numbers.

She has some highly amusing stories.

Yes, there is lots of largely hidden humour in the courts.

A casual visitor might find proceedings dry and often impenetrable, but once you get to know all the participants there are many in-jokes and clever remarks.

I always said I had no need to watch Coronation Street because I watched, and sometimes took part in, a live costume drama every day.

Ian H

Guru
there are many in-jokes and clever remarks.

I always said I had no need to watch Coronation Street because I watched, and sometimes took part in, a live costume drama every day.

It's the way you tell 'em.
1688662477384.png

spen666

I always used to warn client in advance if I was going to say anything unusual or controversial.

I represented one lad who was up for about 40 or 50 summary only offences and in beach of several suspended sentences. My mitigagtions was
"You know you will give him 6 months custody, he knows it,so why waste time" and then I sat down.

Magistrates still retired for 20 mins before deciding to give him......6 months imprisonment

Pale Rider

Veteran
I always used to warn client in advance if I was going to say anything unusual or controversial.

I represented one lad who was up for about 40 or 50 summary only offences and in beach of several suspended sentences. My mitigagtions was
"You know you will give him 6 months custody, he knows it,so why waste time" and then I sat down.

Magistrates still retired for 20 mins before deciding to give him......6 months imprisonment

Lawyers are not known for brevity, but on a similar note a barrister who was mitigating for a nasty death by dangerous said only: "He's pleaded guilty so is entitled to the statutory discount for doing so."

Top Bottom