Kazakhstan troubles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It looks like a good excuse for Putin to “help”. I wonder, who could it be raising fuel prices and feeding dissent?

Beebo

Veteran
And a shoot on sight policy issued to the army.
This could turn nasty.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Watching the footage on the news tonight it at least makes you realise just how much freedom we still have in western Europe. The communist heritage has been sundry dictators in various ex-soviet states who are scared stiff of any genuine democracy that would threaten their grip on power. The old mentality is still there.

England largely moved on from this a bit after the Norman conquest, so some of these states have a lot of catching up to do.

Beebo

Veteran
Watching the footage on the news tonight it at least makes you realise just how much freedom we still have in western Europe. The communist heritage has been sundry dictators in various ex-soviet states who are scared stiff of any genuine democracy that would threaten their grip on power. The old mentality is still there.

England largely moved on from this a bit after the Norman conquest, so some of these states have a lot of catching up to do.
Putin won’t allow real democracy on his doorstep. The leaders in all these states are puppets.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

There is likely to be little direct knowledge among members here about the causes and effects, and an even smaller chance of positively influencing events.
Very true. But, that is true of many world events, that doesn’t usually stop people, or the media, from pontificating about them.

Very true. But, that is true of many world events, that doesn’t usually stop people, or the media, from pontificating about them.
I was thinking more that we all - at least in metropolitan areas - have friends, neighbours and colleagues with strong connections to the world’s more troubled areas. I don’t think there’s a huge community with Kazakh heritage in the UK, is there? I’d be delighted to be told I’m wrong and that there’s a Little Kazakhstan in Kettering.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

I was thinking more that we all - at least in metropolitan areas - have friends, neighbours and colleagues with strong connections to the world’s more troubled areas. I don’t think there’s a huge community with Kazakh heritage in the UK, is there? I’d be delighted to be told I’m wrong and that there’s a Little Kazakhstan in Kettering.
Not sure I see the relevance of that. I don’t know any Kazakhs, but, that doesn’t mean I agree with them being killed and/or oppressed.

Top Bottom