Lettuce speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
https://www.thescottishdumb.co.uk/motors/full-list-speed-cameras-turned-off-scotland/amp/
Beware of cabbages. Irresponsible fckwits. Note that I have vandalised the link so it will not work.

Interestingly, with speed limiters becoming mandatory in the EU, are the days of speeding almost over?
I personally hoped insurance companies would black box cars in liason with car manufacturers. Automatic insurance premiums coming to mind.

The mandatory speed limiters, as far as I understand, can be overridden by the driver, so they’re as much use as a chocolate teapot.

P.S. Your link still goes to The S*n.

Speed limiters in some form of electronic device would be handy for some. Like my partner who got fined for speeding when she didn't really realise; she is law abiding but now has points on her license. People who want to speed will speed, there's no stopping a person getting the electrical trickery re-mapped or whatever, but then at least it would save some people from accidentally speeding (i.e pulling out from a junction and entering a 20 zone when the road you've just pulled out from was 30 and there was no 20mph sign in view at the point of entry to the other road)

Ian H

Guru
Speed limiters in some form of electronic device would be handy for some. Like my partner who got fined for speeding when she didn't really realise; she is law abiding but now has points on her license. People who want to speed will speed, there's no stopping a person getting the electrical trickery re-mapped or whatever, but then at least it would save some people from accidentally speeding (i.e pulling out from a junction and entering a 20 zone when the road you've just pulled out from was 30 and there was no 20mph sign in view at the point of entry to the other road)

I'm sure Mr Loophole would get you out of that one - for a small fee.

icowden

Legendary Member
Speed limiters in some form of electronic device would be handy for some. Like my partner who got fined for speeding when she didn't really realise; she is law abiding but now has points on her license.
EVs are great in this regard. Firstly you don't want to be going superfast as it reduces range, secondly a lot of the time it's just easier to let the car do the work. With adaptive cruise control (Autopilot on Tesla which is a lot better) on many if not all EVs now, they do the speed for you. When I hit a 20 zone going into greater London I just let the car manage it.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I'm sure Mr Loophole would get you out of that one - for a small fee.

It would be easy to defend that charge without the use of that guy, if “there was no 20mph sign in view at the point of entry to the other road”.

ebikeerwidnes

I worry about the speed limiters
I have never yet had a satnav that always is right about the speed limit
New car has the speed on the satnav and looks for signs at the side of the road - but they are not integrated
and they are often out of date even though I updated the maps a month or so ago

Adaptive cruise control is great for speed limits, especially if there is variable traffic around but you do have to set the speed manually

I would havce loved to have it when we went to the North of Scotland a few years ago and there was a long distance with a 50 mph limit and average speed cameras !

I'm sure there is a plan - I just don;t know what it is!

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I suspect that, eventually, road will be fitted with bluetooth like Beacons that signify both a speed change and the actual limit.

Insurance companies will be the ones helping make limiters mandatory.

icowden

Legendary Member
Adaptive cruise control is great for speed limits, especially if there is variable traffic around but you do have to set the speed manually
Um, no you don't. If you have to set the speed control manually you just have cruise control. Adaptive means that the car adapts.
Yes, sometimes it messes up, for me particularly on the A3 as you go into London where it has trouble with close parallel roads, and roads passing over the A3.

Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
I suspect that, eventually, road will be fitted with bluetooth like Beacons that signify both a speed change and the actual limit.
Why? It would be a complete waste of time. Cars now have cameras that can see and read the signs. My ID4 can read speed signs and change speed accordingly.

Reactions: C R

ebikeerwidnes

Um, no you don't. If you have to set the speed control manually you just have cruise control. Adaptive means that the car adapts.
Yes, sometimes it messes up, for me particularly on the A3 as you go into London where it has trouble with close parallel roads, and roads passing over the A3.

OK - well mine does need to be set
You press a button on the steering wheel and it sets the target for your current speed
It then tries to keep to that speed - unless it sees a car ahead which is too close in which case it will slow you down, based on the speed of the car in front and whether or not it is accelerating.
When the road is clear or the car ahead is further away then it will speed up and try to get to the target speed

You can change the target up or down with another button - but it does not check the speed limit for you.
That is just mine - Honda Civic 2019

useful to know that other are different.

as far as the car seeing speed limit signs go - mine does that

but it does miss some - e.g. a lorry in the inside lane might block it
or it might be covered in green stuff
or it might be bent round a bit

happens quite often

Top Bottom