Lettuce speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Why? It would be a complete waste of time. Cars now have cameras that can see and read the signs. My ID4 can read speed signs and change speed accordingly.
1713637458684.png

What speed would it go here?

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
View attachment 5806
What speed would it go here?

I’d hope the software was good enough not to be fooled by adjacent, albeit similar, speed signs. Plus there are repeater 40mph signs along that road.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Well quite. That was the whole point of my post.

That particular sign is claimed to have confused an arab. [He means a Dundee United player - Ed]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-12772442

I think if you’d an example of an actual misreading by the car’s software it would have been better made.

As it is, this was just an entitled eejit driving dangerously and using the railway sign as a convenient afterthought. I don’t think anyone, least of all the court, believed for one second he’d even seen the sign at the time.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
My current car has built in "driver assist" goodies, like, blind spot warnings, speed limit warnings, lane assist warnings, adaptive cruise control, automatic windscreen wipers, automatic lights, automatic transmission, it can even warn me if a pedestrian, cyclist, or other vehicle strays into my path (even if reversing) plus, of course Sat-Nav. If I was so inclined, there is little left for me to actually do, other than play on my phone, if I so wished. In practice, I prefer to rely on my own skills, I do use the fancy "aids", but, just because (say) the Sat-Nav suggests a turn into a clearly unsuitable road, I don't feel duty bound to actually make the turn, they are "aids" not replacements for the driver.

The "aids" can be useful, eg when the locals have nicked the aluminium speed repeater signs for scrap, or, indeed, just for fun, the instrument panel will give me an indication of what it thinks the speed limit is, but, ultimately, the fixed penalty notice will wing it's way to my door, not the door of the instrument panel.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
I’d hope the software was good enough not to be fooled by adjacent, albeit similar, speed signs. Plus there are repeater 40mph signs along that road.
I'd hope that too but it isn't on the ID4. The system is a bit basic in that regard. I believe other brands have done it better (Polestar, Tesla, Hyundai, Jaguar to name a few). Obviously Tesla is the leader in this area.

Top Bottom