Likes and laughs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I see you mention “spreadsheet”, do you remember the thread I mentioned?

It is fairly clear that my “likes” and “laughs” are being observed and perhaps counted, which just encourages me to spread them randomly, to confound.
I do remember a thread where this came up, and I think my reply there was similar to the one I gave here a few posts back.

Likes and laughs are bound to be noticed - observed is a bit strong, counted even more so - because they are public by design. As I said, there is presumably an intention in the mind of the liker even if the full meaning is not always clear. I can’t see the point of spreading them at random. What purpose does that serve? Are you saying that is what you do now or that you will start?

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Likes are never simply acknowledgements; they don't clearly indicate which part of a post you like, significant when the post contains more than one point. If you want to acknowledge someone you can respond, say hello or whatever, somewhere in a post. This will probably remain the same until there's an acknowledgement emoticon.

Laughs: I've occasionally used the laughing emoticon to signify ''laughing at.'' @Pile Raider would probably think I absolutely adored his humour if I did this too much.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Prompted by what was said about liking insulting posts I have now done some actual research by re-reading the thread where this started. I wonder what it means, if anything?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Bringing this over from the other thread @BoldonLad, what prompts you to overwhelmingly acknowledge certain posters more than others? Do not be shy if, by acknowledging, you mean supporting or agreeing with them, or even because they are overtly demonstrating they are fighting against the tide of left wing oppression.

What does acknowledge even mean in the context of a post?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Bringing this over from the other thread @BoldonLad, what prompts you to overwhelmingly acknowledge certain posters more than others? Do not be shy if, by acknowledging, you mean supporting or agreeing with them, or even because they are overtly demonstrating they are fighting against the tide of left wing oppression.

What does acknowledge even mean in the context of a post?

I already explained that in a post before the “conversation” was transfered to here.

It is clearly working.

D

Deleted member 28

I do the like one to either acknowledge a direct reply to me or in agreement of a post's content and the laughing one if I think someone has said something comical or if I'm directly laughing AT someone.

BoldonLad

Likes are never simply acknowledgements; they don't clearly indicate which part of a post you like, significant when the post contains more than one point. If you want to acknowledge someone you can respond, say hello or whatever, somewhere in a post. This will probably remain the same until there's an acknowledgement emoticon.

Laughs: I've occasionally used the laughing emoticon to signify ''laughing at.'' @Pile Raider would probably think I absolutely adored his humour if I did this too much.

Shouldn't that read "For me, likes are never simply acknowledgements"?

Unless you can read the mind of other posters?

BoldonLad

Prompted by what was said about liking insulting posts I have now done some actual research by re-reading the thread where this started. I wonder what it means, if anything?

View attachment 342
View attachment 343

View attachment 344

View attachment 345

View attachment 346

I don't think that is from the thread I was referring to. The thread I was referring to was titled something like "What do we think so far", and, I think it was started by @Bromptonaut.

However, even if it is, from the relevant thread, snipping a small section out of a series of insults is not meaningful, IMHO.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

'Like' for me =broad agreement.
'Laugh' (rarely used) for me = either I appreciate the humour or I find the comment risible. Which should, I hope, be clear in the context.

Yes, that is more or less how I used to use "like" and "laugh".

But, more lately, I have opted for a different method, for my own amusement/enlightenment.

Top Bottom