National Day of Action & Picket Lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of the current strikes, I wanted to raise a different issue.
In the past, when workers were on strike, they often formed picket lines at the entrances to their employers premises and it was a generally accepted thing that those not on strike or in different Unions would not "Cross the Picket Lines"

Well today for example the PCS Union at my work are on strike. I am not a member of the PCS and my Union are not striking.

As I work at home most days, I am not crossing a picket line by logging onto my computer

How do Unions gain support from others who no longer have to cross the picket line to work.
The current working from home/ flexible working etc makes it hard to garner support by a picket line

D

Deleted member 49

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of the current strikes, I wanted to raise a different issue.
In the past, when workers were on strike, they often formed picket lines at the entrances to their employers premises and it was a generally accepted thing that those not on strike or in different Unions would not "Cross the Picket Lines"

Well today for example the PCS Union at my work are on strike. I am not a member of the PCS and my Union are not striking.

As I work at home most days, I am not crossing a picket line by logging onto my computer

How do Unions gain support from others who no longer have to cross the picket line to work.
The current working from home/ flexible working etc makes it hard to garner support by a picket line
Join the Labour party....you can pretend you support the workers/strikers without actually doing anything ?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
My son is a civil servant working in IT, who works much of the time from his flat. This arrangement started before Covid.

He said he was going to picket the gates to his building today to see if the other residents would cross the picket line.

Top Bottom