Nurse murdered seven babies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
I don't disagree about their preferences but the process should aim to provide a just outcome rather than administrative convenience for practitioners.

That's true, but the jury is tasked with finding a defendant guilty or not guilty.

Saying 'we can't decide' is a cop out.

As the jury are told by the judge: "You need to be satisfied so you are sure to return a guilty verdict, nothing less will do."

If they are not satisfied so they are sure, it's not guilty.

The majority direction means a verdict upon at least 10 are agreed will do.

I suppose there could be a situation in which three or more jurors are firmly at odds with the rest, but I've seen the number of hung juries rise over the years, so I reserve the right for the occasional mini rant.

That's true, but the jury is tasked with finding a defendant guilty or not guilty.

Saying 'we can't decide' is a cop out.

As the jury are told by the judge: "You need to be satisfied so you are sure to return a guilty verdict, nothing less will do."

If they are not satisfied so they are sure, it's not guilty.
If, as a juror, you cannot decide then you're not 'so sure that you are certain' and you vote not guilty.

Three of them do that and stick to it then you've a hung jury.

icowden

Legendary Member
The only evidence was statistical it seems.
I don't think that that was the *only* evidence. It is, however, useful evidence in pointing to a potential source of a problem which needs investigating. Some Trusts do use statistical info to check on the performance of health care professionals - for example on completion of notes, recording appointment outcomes, clinical (patient facing time) spent with patients etc.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

That's not what the article says at all. It's saying that what statistical evidence there is should be subject to inquiry, just as the medical evidence should be.

albion

Guru
So give the evidence. Statistical evidence looks towards 100%.
The corporate manslaughter probe might enlighten us.

albion

Guru
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/lucy-letby-nurse-baby-innocence-court-b2462640.html
'She ticked “yes” to each of the charges but added: “I do not wish to take part or be present at the hearing. I do not resist the application to strike me off the nursing register.
“I accept the fact of the convictions. However, I do not accept that I am guilty of any of the allegations.
“I maintain my innocence in respect of all of the convictions '

Yet the innuendo evidence was overwhelming.

Top Bottom