Railway Guardian app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Thanks Bazzer, some good ideas for bystanders who can help a person being harassed. 👍🏼

D

Deleted member 28

Thanks Bazzer, some good ideas for bystanders who can help a person being harassed. 👍🏼

People need an 'APP' to tell them how to behave correctly?

Is there a 'Lefty woke' one I could download to help me out?

mudsticks

Squire

I've often heard (or read) people saying they don't know how to respond or help, if they witness harassment, so this gives some simple ideas, that not everyone may have thought of as being effective.

It's what you or I might do instinctively, but not everyone may realise how effective it can be.
Plus the direct contact details of BTP.

No idea what the second part of your post is about - just the usual baiting I expect.

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

Do you mean how to behave correctly by not upskirting etc, or how to behave if you witness inappropriate behaviour?
If the former, I would agree an app isn't going to work. Those engaged in such activities are unlikely to consider the app is relevant to them. But If you have any suggestions how such behaviour and attitudes within society can be changed, I am sure the females on here will be happy look at them from their perspective and provide you some feedback.
If the latter, although my travel on trains is now limited to around once or twice a month, personally I found the advice very useful. Others may do too.
Finally, have you looked at the app? You will see there is the facility to report an issue. - I don't know what trains in the Midlands have in their carriages, but certainly on the trains I travel, whilst some carriages show a number to call if there is an incident you wish to report, it is not IME universal. Also, if travelling in a crowded train, the number may not be visible.
You will also see there is a location and ETA facility. Yes, WhatsApp has a similar facility to show an individual's location, but it may provide some reassurance to the traveller, their partner or family.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

I'm looking for the "ignore the troll" app.

Must be round here somewhere.

Apparently it's called the 'ignore ' button, if you press it enough times all you'll ever hear (read) is your own voice.

A few on here use it to good effect, I imagine when it comes to speaking face to face it's more difficult to implement though.

icowden

Legendary Member
No, they need the App to quickly and silently communicate with BTP as an alternative to texting or calling.
Additionally, BTP have given advice on how people can help someone being attacked or harrassed - an in particular highlighting that even if you are afraid to interject, once you have interjected then other people will likely come and support you.

Many people are scared to go first for many reasons (e.g. what if the person has a knife? what if they attack me? etc). Whilst those thoughts are valid BTP seem to be suggesting that if everyone responds like this, then no-one will act. If someone acts, then the risk suddenly gets mitigated as we switch to "well he can't get all 5 of us".

I think they also give advice about ways that you can help someone without just walking up and going "Oi - d'ya want some you scrote... I'll put your lights out". There are much more subtle ways that can be used to help someone being harassed without aggravating the situation.

mudsticks

Squire
No, they need the App to quickly and silently communicate with BTP as an alternative to texting or calling.
Additionally, BTP have given advice on how people can help someone being attacked or harrassed - an in particular highlighting that even if you are afraid to interject, once you have interjected then other people will likely come and support you.

Many people are scared to go first for many reasons (e.g. what if the person has a knife? what if they attack me? etc). Whilst those thoughts are valid BTP seem to be suggesting that if everyone responds like this, then no-one will act. If someone acts, then the risk suddenly gets mitigated as we switch to "well he can't get all 5 of us".

I think they also give advice about ways that you can help someone without just walking up and going "Oi - d'ya want some you scrote... I'll put your lights out". There are much more subtle ways that can be used to help someone being harassed without aggravating the situation.
I'm pretty sure that's what I said up thread too.

But with fewer words because ..
you know..

Wimmin always 'going on about stuff'

It's almost as if some people don't want to hear 🤔

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure that's what I said up thread too.
But with fewer words because ..
you know..
My apologies - in my reading of your post I hadn't realised you were talking about the app - I thought you were referring to the advice on the webpage (I wasn't trying to mansplain honest!!)

I also just noticed that the App helps BTP geolocate you if they need to take action - another good reason to use it.

mudsticks

Squire
My apologies - in my reading of your post I hadn't realised you were talking about the app - I thought you were referring to the advice on the webpage (I wasn't trying to mansplain honest!!)

I also just noticed that the App helps BTP geolocate you if they need to take action - another good reason to use it.

No worries, I was talking about both really.

Advice for safe and effective intervention, and the BTP contact / geolocate as well.

Top Bottom