Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should we allow assisted suicide in the UK?

• Yes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes. Of course, as long as we have sensible protection for the vulnerable.

Having witnessed my father in laws recent death it’s clear that high dose morphine is used to hasten death when it’s inevitable. The care nurse said as much at the time and as predicted he was dead within 2 hours of the morphine being administered.

It would be nice to end it before that point when everyone is more lucid.

^^^^ This.

slowmotion

In an ideal world, I would be all for it but unfortunately there are almost certainly unscrupulous people who will put subtle and invisible pressure on relatives to encourage them to end their lives when they may not be entirely willing to do so.

In an ideal world, I would be all for it but unfortunately there are almost certainly unscrupulous people who will put subtle and invisible pressure on relatives to encourage them to end their lives when they may not be entirely willing to do so.
I agree it’s a possibility that would need to be carefully managed but is it a good enough reason to deny thousands of people a dignified death of their own choosing?

slowmotion

I agree it’s a possibility that would need to be carefully managed but is it a good enough reason to deny thousands of people a dignified death of their own choosing?
I don't think that's an easy one to answer but it's not a problem that can be "managed".

I don't think that's an easy one to answer but it's not a problem that can be "managed".
Managed in the same sense as managing any other unwanted behaviour, accepting that allowing choice leaves people the option of making the wrong choice.

I wonder if other countries that have progressed down this road have experience that would help us set up rules to reduce the effects of family pressure.

slowmotion

Managed in the same sense as managing any other unwanted behaviour, accepting that allowing choice leaves people the option of making the wrong choice.

I wonder if other countries that have progressed down this road have experience that would help us set up rules to reduce the effects of family pressure.
I have a Dutch friend who could tell me more but, since both her parents went down that road, I think it would be tactless to ask about the details. Anyway, here's an article.......

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...nasia-gone-too-far-netherlands-assisted-dying

I have a Dutch friend who could tell me more but, since both her parents went down that road, I think it would be tactless to ask about the details. Anyway, here's an article.......

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...nasia-gone-too-far-netherlands-assisted-dying
That was an interesting read. Are we at risk of conflating assisted suicide with euthanasia? From the article:
Boer now regrets that it didn’t stipulate that the patient must be competent at the time of termination, and that if possible the patient should administer the fatal dose themselves.
and
Assuming it could be properly safeguarded (a big assumption), the completed-life pill would not necessarily displease many doctors I spoke to; it would allow them to get back to saving lives. But while some applicants for euthanasia are furious with doctors who turn them down, in practice people are unwilling to take their own lives. Rather than drink the poison or open the drip, 95% of applicants for active life termination in the Netherlands ask a doctor to kill them.
I accept that there may be people that want and deserve a dignified death that are not capable of suicide but euthanasia does feel like a step too far to me.

D

Deleted member 28

Yes, for those who voted to leave the EU...

... and voted Tory, liked a Laurence Fox Twitter post or supports Luton Town FC.
You wish!

That sounds liberating. It is the implications which take it to another level.

The people I know who are scared are not conservatives. We are people who have seen how our disabled comrades are already oppressed.

A friend of me passed away from cancer, he was also very scared but too late to fill in the paperwork to choose to end the suffering. I mean i'm sure lots of people choosing to do this are scared, but knowing your passing will be long and painfull is scary too, to be honest if i get diagnosed with a disease long and painfull end as a forecast i will seriously consider moving back to the Netherlands to choose an humane ending too. Alltough nobody would willingly want to be in such a position. i would say it's about options, nobody is forced to choose this ending but it is an option if you find yourself in that terrible situation.

What i mean with conversatives by lack of a better term as an unbrella for poeple who mostly want everything to stay the same for example but not limited to christians(but not all christians) who make it sound like a just a bit more then a regular doctors visit, or take the ukip with an exceptional situation to try and make their point like for example this article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-the-netherlands-the-doctor-will-kill-you-now-1500591571
on the bottom it says this: Mr. van der Staaij is a member of the Dutch Parliament. What it does'nt say is he was in Parliament at the time for the reformed party. (so that's a few steps further then a Christian party, in that party only for like 10 years or something women are allowed to represent them after they where forced by the courts.)
The article contains lots of misleading information, for example by leaving away the part that the elderly demetria sufferer in the article had expressed her wish to end her life if it was like it was as result of her dementia,(detriated quelity of life with no prospect on improved in translated legal terms) nonetheless if the doctor performing the assisted suicide does not follow the procedures to the letter he/she risks being procecuted, something that has happened in the past.

Top Bottom