Sturgeon resigns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
He wasn't treasurer at the time it was purchased.

BBC Report is incorrect then? It says he "held the Role (Treasurer) for 20 years", and, that he "quit at the time of his arrest". Alternatively, the Motorhome has been standing on someones driveway for 20 years, perhaps?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
The BBC report is incorrect if it does not mention the detail that he held the role of treasurer until 2020, when he was replaced by Douglas Chapman, who was in post when the motorhome was purchased. Chapman resigned from the post a year or so later leading to Beattie's return.

Interestingly, this is precisely the sort of detail that the BBC and other UK-centric media outlets often tend to omit when reporting on the Scottish government and Scotland's elected party of government. Can't imagine why, although this Twitter account is worth a look if the oddities of reportage north of the border is of passing interest.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
BBC Report is incorrect then? It says he "held the Role (Treasurer) for 20 years", and, that he "quit at the time of his arrest". Alternatively, the Motorhome has been standing on someones driveway for 20 years, perhaps?

The report you quote states:

But she [Ms Sturgeon] refused to speak about the motorhome, which is reported to have sat on the driveway of her mother-in-law's house since January 2021.
Mr Beattie was not SNP treasurer at the time, having lost an internal vote to Douglas Chapman the previous November after 16 years in the role.” [my emphasis]​

Obviously his 20 year tenure was not uninterrupted.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The BBC report is incorrect if it does not mention the detail that he held the role of treasurer until 2020, when he was replaced by Douglas Chapman, who was in post when the motorhome was purchased. Chapman resigned from the post a year or so later leading to Beattie's return.

Interestingly, this is precisely the sort of detail that the BBC and other UK-centric media outlets often tend to omit when reporting on the Scottish government and Scotland's elected party of government. Can't imagine why, although this Twitter account is worth a look if the oddities of reportage north of the border is of passing interest.

The report you quote states:

But she [Ms Sturgeon] refused to speak about the motorhome, which is reported to have sat on the driveway of her mother-in-law's house since January 2021.
Mr Beattie was not SNP treasurer at the time, having lost an internal vote to Douglas Chapman the previous November after 16 years in the role.” [my emphasis]​

Obviously his 20 year tenure was not uninterrupted.

Thank you for clarifying that. I knew I had read something about the treasurer resigning or some such (in Private Eye, I think), but, at the time, did not think it terribly relevant, so, had consigned it to the back of my mind, this was before the current controversy had surfaced.

Top Bottom