The autumn fiscal statement....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brace yourself for AUSTERITY 2, the follow-up to the flop that was Austerity 1.
Will it be the same story?
Will Hunt do the decent thing snd favour taxing wealth and high earners or will we have more regressive taxation where once again the poorest share the burden?
Can't say am expecting any miracles....

D

Deleted member 49

You know the answer allready surely... Austerity round 2.Pretty mad that they've been doing it for the past 12 years,thousands of lives lost and livelihoods.What do we hear from the Tories and Labour ? We need more of it.
He will more than likely come out with the usual bollox of "those with the broadest shoulders" and "difficult choices" but we know who's really going to suffer.

View: https://twitter.com/RMCunliffe/status/1592869856227254272?t=KzbbWkxdol939_acwpsxcw&s=19

Reactions: C R

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment

O ye of little faith ...

Following the Truss debacle it might be possible push at least some of the burden on to the better off if only a cynical ploy to try to undo the loss of popularity Truss caused.

With Russia in the Ukraine I wonder if defence spending will be cut.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
You know the answer allready surely... Austerity round 2.Pretty mad that they've been doing it for the past 12 years,thousands of lives lost and livelihoods.What do we hear from the Tories and Labour ? We need more of it.
He will more than likely come out with the usual bollox of "those with the broadest shoulders" and "difficult choices" but we know who's really going to suffer.

View: https://twitter.com/RMCunliffe/status/1592869856227254272?t=KzbbWkxdol939_acwpsxcw&s=19

C'mon Adam, we're all in it together....

Brace yourself for AUSTERITY 2, the follow-up to the flop that was Austerity 1.
Will it be the same story?
Will Hunt do the decent thing snd favour taxing wealth and high earners or will we have more regressive taxation where once again the poorest share the burden?
More austerity from where exactly?

There's nothing left.

bobzmyunkle

Bloody pensioners getting my slice of pizza? Thanks for the heads up Rachel.

Ian H

Guru
Some of the rhetoric may be just to mollify the right-of-sensible Tories. Though, on the other hand, Hunt has recruited Osborne (remember him?) to advise him. I don't imagine you'll be any better off unless you're already very well off, or perceived as a likely Tory voter.

stowie

All pensioners are millionaires

No, but some of them are. And some are living very well off final salary public or private pensions which later generations have zero chance of enjoying. Other pensioners are just getting by and will be very badly hit by the energy increases over the winter. There will be a lot of pensioners falling into poverty with these cost increases, in the same way as a there will be a lot of non-pensioners falling into poverty as well.

Austerity has no place to go really aside from pensions and pensioner benefits which were left largely untouched in the Austerity 1.0.

State Pension is the single largest payment made from the benefits pot, accounting for 41% or £100bn in yr 2020/21. If spending cuts are going to happen then the government may want to leave the triple lock in place (after all they are the Tories' core voter base) but cannot do so and hope to raise enough money to make a dent in the deficit.

I suspect they will "suspend" the triple lock for another year but go with something that is more aligned with annual wage growth.

Beebo

Veteran
No, but some of them are. And some are living very well off final salary public or private pensions which later generations have zero chance of enjoying. Other pensioners are just getting by and will be very badly hit by the energy increases over the winter. There will be a lot of pensioners falling into poverty with these cost increases, in the same way as a there will be a lot of non-pensioners falling into poverty as well.

Austerity has no place to go really aside from pensions and pensioner benefits which were left largely untouched in the Austerity 1.0.

State Pension is the single largest payment made from the benefits pot, accounting for 41% or £100bn in yr 2020/21. If spending cuts are going to happen then the government may want to leave the triple lock in place (after all they are the Tories' core voter base) but cannot do so and hope to raise enough money to make a dent in the deficit.

I suspect they will "suspend" the triple lock for another year but go with something that is more aligned with annual wage growth.

Nope.
Triple lock has been maintained.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
i'd like to know why the tories are making decision for years after the next general election, when they may not even be in power then......

Beebo

Veteran
i'd like to know why the tories are making decision for years after the next general election, when they may not even be in power then......

It’s political.
Kick the can down the road, beyond the next election.

Top Bottom