The perils of being a journalist in an authoritarian state

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
If you listen to LBC in the morning they always have a reporter live at the scene just as the disruption starts.
So it’s fairly clear that the journalists are getting tip offs from Just Stop Oil before hand.
I’m sure the police would love that information.

If you listen to LBC in the morning they always have a reporter live at the scene just as the disruption starts.
So it’s fairly clear that the journalists are getting tip offs from Just Stop Oil before hand.
so it was actually a police action, ''just stop activist pretending to be journalist..'' makes sense

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
so it was actually a police action, ''just stop activist pretending to be journalist..'' makes sense

Did you read the thread?
They are journalists, with press credentials.

They were held in custody for 13 hours having to give rigorous details of their work, asked to reveal their sources and even the PIN for their phone.
The other guy had his house searched and his daughter’s iPad was seized. This is not acceptable behaviour in a democracy but we can thank Patel and others for this erosion of civil rights.
And it won’t stop here.

We need to get these fascists out of government once and for all.

Beebo

Veteran
Seems I was right.

LBC have stated their journalists were arrested yesterday. Held for 5 hours and had their phone confiscated. Presumably looking for contacts.

This can’t be legal?

Reactions: C R
Seems I was right.

LBC have stated their journalists were arrested yesterday. Held for 5 hours and had their phone confiscated. Presumably looking for contacts.

This can’t be legal?

Just stop oil want publicity, so no surprise if they tip-off some media contacts. The police action smells strongly of authoritarian state. No doubt the recent bill against protests covers their actions.
No doubt that LBC will make some hay out of this too....

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Seems I was right.

This can’t be legal?

Ferrari is complicit in this and his outrage because one of his colleagues was arrested doesn’t impress me.

Imagine the consequences to your life if you were out cycling, saw a similar incident, and stopped to have a look or - horror of horrors - take photos without even the flimsy protection of a press card.

View: https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1590241385642270720?s=61&t=PRw_F2j7inH1w3-ZgBO6iw

Beebo

Veteran
Hertfordshire police have referred themselves for an independent investigation over the arrest of an LBC reporter, who had an official press ID card and was standing on the pavement whilst filming from a bridge overlooking the M25.

No one thought to call LBC to see if she was a real journalist.

She went missing for around 7 hours in total and LBC we’re so worried about their female reporters whereabouts that they even called the Police to see if they had arrested her.

She had her phone confiscated and DNA / fingerprints taken.

Top Bottom