The UK Union. Past its Best Before Date?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want the North of England to join Scotland then join the EU leaving Westminster to stew in their own waste.

Reminds me of a Tweet around the time of the 2014 referendum which said 'If Scotland leaves the UK, can you annex Liverpool and take us with you?' :laugh:

spen666

I want the North of England to join Scotland then join the EU leaving Westminster to stew in their own waste.

So the people of the North of England who voted overwhelmingly for Brexit are to be forced back into the EU and those in the South who voted against Brexit are to be excluded from the EU?

not really sure you get the idea of democracy

lazybloke

Regular
So the people of the North of England who voted overwhelmingly for Brexit are to be forced back into the EU and those in the South who voted against Brexit are to be excluded from the EU?

Back to 2016:
"If you vote for Brexit, you'll get a blue passport and will be obliged to use 3rd country frontier controls with longer queues".
"If you vote to remain, you keep a red passport and can use the shorter EU lanes".
That would be entirely democratic. Probably would have changed the outcome too.

Meanwhile, I see Truss and the DUP are increasingly vocal about dropping border controls in the Irish sea.
She suggests suspending the Brexit deal entirely.

To what end? Seems a risky way of testing whether "a bad deal is worse than no deal", not to mention "they need us more than we need them".
Does she know about WTO most-favoured-nation rules?

Edit: wandered OT slightly, but the complications & impact of Brexit will likely cause two things:
1) push NI further towards reunification with Ireland, and neatly resolving one pesky border issue
2) push Scotland/Wales towards independence, creating two entirely new border issues
But in both instances, weakening the UK when it has just lost a massively powerful and influential place on the world stage.

The UK has a lot of offer, but walking away from that position, closing those channels of co-operation and investment, just a really dumb idea that risks a continued decline in the fortunes of the nation.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

I get your point, but, as a Northerner who voted "remain", I think, I could live with it. ;)

Top Bottom