Times article about a racist old drunk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

multitool

Shaman
As for his "virtues", can I assume you are referring to standing up to Hitler?

Whilst undeniably true, when you look at the sorts of things Churchill said, and in some cases did, you realise that he wasn't so very far away from his vaunted enemy

Screenshot_20240108_075825_Samsung Internet.jpg

matticus

Guru
Churchill wasn't an utter saint?????:eek:

Shock! Why hasn't this been mentioned on NACA before?!? Luckily Ian's here to write right this wrong. :thumbsup:

multitool

Shaman
Could I gently suggest that you might possibly lack a sense of proportion?

No, you may not.

What you may do is try shouting this in a German accent and see if you get the point.

"I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place"

Reactions: C R

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Probably not an uncommon view for a posh English man born in the 1870's. Superiority and justification through paternalism. It's the fact that he didn't then go on to systematically kill 6 million Jews (or other groups) that makes your assertion that "you realise that he wasn't so very far away from his vaunted enemy" lack a sense of proportion.

It's actually quite a long way away from his vaunted enemy. I'd go as far as to say he wasn't very close to being Hitler at all to be honest.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
Probably not an uncommon view for a posh English man born in the 1870's. Superiority and justification through paternalism. It's the fact that he didn't then go on to systematically kill 6 million Jews (or other groups) that makes your assertion that "you realise that he wasn't so very far away from his vaunted enemy" lack a sense of proportion.

It's actually quite a long way away from his vaunted enemy. I'd go as far as to say he wasn't very close to being Hitler at all to be honest.
From the article:-
Reid feels that Churchill’s attitude was racist not just by the standards of our time, but also by those of his own...
...When “uncivilised” people misbehaved, he had no qualms about using overwhelming force. At the Colonial Office from 1921-22, he displayed extreme brutality in response to uprisings. “I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes,” he argued.

Top Bottom