Tsk, those Italians....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I've got a bathing suit figure. It's just that it's ghastly.
Must be about time to trot this one out surely...

mudsticks

Squire
"Normal representation"? Very good.

I'm knuckled up with tattoos, a missing tooth and scars all over my body. I reckon I'd made a fab receptionist, or tea person, or whatever.

I fit a size eight quite well too, although my shoulders have always been a bit big; I can accommodate.
I have the same problem, I always have to size up from a twelve on account of the strong arms..

Terrible being restricted around the shoulders by a too tight dress isn't it..

Off the shoulder helps of course, and I would imagine gives freer rein to your tats.

Need a nice shrug to go over the top if it's nippy out though.:okay:

Ian H

Guru
Those Italians, eh?
https://www.ft.com/content/a659ee70-3a5b-3f38-87d1-bbd76670c710
(from 2009, so not ancient history)
Here's the quote if you can't read the original (to be fair the BoE claimed the advice was from a consultant they'd hired, not them).

As if working at the BoE isn’t depressing enough, its female employees are now being told how to dress. For success, no less. Really. The central bank reportedly held a “Dress for Success” day earlier this week, sending a memo to its female employees. Women’s Wear Daily has a copy: “Look professional, not fashionable; be careful with perfume; always wear a heel of some sort – maximum 2 inches; always wear some sort of makeup – even if it’s just lipstick.” Shoes and skirt must be the same color. No-no’s include ankle chains – “professional, but not the one you want to be associated with;” white high heels; overstuffed handbags; an overload of rings, and double-pierced ears.

We don’t know whether to worry more that someone is actually wearing ankle chains to the BoE, or that this sort of patronising fashion advice (match your shoes to your skirt? Always wear makeup?) is still being spun. But — if we’re going down this route can we at least ban Mervyn King’s hideous ties as well?

mudsticks

Squire
Men. Stop wearing boring navy or charcoal suits. You look stultifyingly dull and your choice of shirt and tie makes it even worse.
And for goodness sake lads, can't you at least brighten your faces up with a bit of lippy.. :girl:

I read somewhere that the 'average woman spends at least twenty mins a day on hair and makeup

I then did a calculation that I've had three extra months of waking hours free, in my life on account of not doing that

Not to mention the savings on all the product..

It's an extra tax of time and money on one half of the population that already gets paid less..

Have to say though, that there's a tremendous amount of effort put into all that stuff by many of the good people of Manchester..

All fine and fun, and creative , if that's your thing .
But to feel compelled to do it would be a right pita. :sad:

mudsticks

Squire
This is indeed good advice...

My current squeeze wears mainly* black and dark navy, on a day to day basis

To the point that I joke that he should come stealing through the bedroom window with a box of milk chocolates.

Not boringly saunter empty handed, through the door .

*With the occasional sporting of very colourful shirts, which of course draws remarks, due to it being an unusual happenstance.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I read somewhere that the 'average woman spends at least twenty mins a day on hair and makeup

I then did a calculation that I've had three extra months of waking hours free, in my life on account of not doing that
You cannot improve upon perfection either. :biggrin:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I am glad that being retired there have been no pressures on me about how to dress for more than ten years. The only time I still wear a sort of uniform is at funerals where my conventionality makes me wear my only suit, a white shirt and a black tie.
I would wear the same clothes, undercrackers excepted, every day unless they didn't mysteriously disappear only to end up in the laundry basket, and I look in the mirror just once a day when shaving.
I have always detested the tyranny of the fashion police.

mudsticks

Squire
I am glad that being retired there have been no pressures on me about how to dress for more than ten years. The only time I still wear a sort of uniform is at funerals where my conventionality makes me wear my only suit, a white shirt and a black tie.
I would wear the same clothes, undercrackers excepted, every day unless they didn't mysteriously disappear only to end up in the laundry basket, and I look in the mirror just once a day when shaving.
I have always detested the tyranny of the fashion police.

Don't worry love, they'll leave you alone so long as you don't answer back, and maintain a sanguine attitude at all time :rolleyes:

Top Bottom