What books/literature should be read as part of the UK GCSE curriculum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I found a copy of his essays in the big 2nd-hand bookshop in Alnwick. I imagine it's still there.
The old railway station?
But I don't think I'm imagining that, even in my lifetime, Shakespeare's language has moved further from easy comprehension.
When younger daughter was doing Shakespeare I looked at a textbook with the original one side and a rendering into modern English on the other, and whilst you get the gist of the meaning from reading the original I was shocked at just how much the language has changed in the meantime. To really understand it requires a fair amount of work.

Ian H

Guru
The old railway station?
Indeed.

Bazzer

View attachment 4764

This seems to fit here.
That reminds me of daughter #1. Her primary school had a reading scheme requiring pupils to follow each book in order and they had to be heard reading from each book, either by a teacher or parent voluntary helper, before progressing to the next book.
Given she could read and construct basic words before she started primary school and we were fortunate in being able to either buy or access books to challenge her, many of the school reading scheme books were simply left in the bottom of her bag until her turn to read came around. Our challenge was maintaining her interest in reading because of the school's approach.

Top Bottom