What's in a name? Türkiye, Netherlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

It has been widely reported that Turkey is being rebranded as Türkiye, and two years ago the Dutch tourist bodies stopped referring to Holland, favouring the Netherlands.

To be clear North and South Holland still exist as two of the Netherlands 12 provinces.

Should we modify our habitual use of the old names out of respect, or does it not matter so long as we understand each other?

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Eh?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
As long as it's done by consensus, not imposed. African and Asian nations have been doing it for years, eg the former Burma, Rhodesia, have long since ditched the old names for ones of their choosing.

As for respect, I expect Russia will try renaming Ukraine at some point but it wouldn't be disrespectful if the rest of the world refused to acknowledge that name.

Obviously 'Wessex' needs to make a come back though. I think we all agree on that.

Obviously 'Wessex' needs to make a come back though. I think we all agree on that.

The dude dressed like Mussolini sharing a cab with a nonce? You sure?

7BD60CD4-78FC-4E7D-8808-9235D79EDF68.jpeg

StuAff

Holland, though long used as an informal name, has never been the name of the country, only the region (now two provinces, previously one). Whereas The Netherlands includes all twelve provinces, plus overseas territories. Not complicated.

Ian H

Guru
Holland, though long used as an informal name, has never been the name of the country, only the region (now two provinces, previously one). Whereas The Netherlands includes all twelve provinces, plus overseas territories. Not complicated.

Which is, of course, why we call them the Dutch.

StuAff

Which is, of course, why we call them the Dutch.

In English, though. The citizens in their own language are Nederlander. Not to be confused with the Flemish in Belgium, who speak Dutch but most definitely aren't.

Top Bottom