A UK BLM group closes after police infiltration attempt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip

Blimey. Things have got discernibly nastier up our end of town - right wing goons everywhere. Naively, we reported a couple of the more alarming ones to the cops - looks like that is a waste of time.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Looks like the alleged infiltration attempt was in March 2021. I can't find any record of the outcome of her official complaint to the police. Swansea BLM only have 50 followers on Twitter so I would imagine it's also a case of the public's initial interest waining. Always hard to keep small local groups going.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/black-lives-matter-activist-recorded-21967150

This report says March last year. Without listening to the phone call she recorded I'm not even sure what the situation is. She's saying the police wanted her to spy on the BLM movement, but the police say they wanted her to spy on far Right bods who turned up to BLM demos?

There's only 7 of them and it doesn't sound like they do much. I can't imagine why the police would be that interested in such a small group.

The link won't work but the transcript of the phone call is on a site called Voice.Wales.

"So would they want information on the far-right?", Lowri asked.
“Yeah basically stuff like that. And if you would know about these persons turning up prior to the event. From information you’ve gleaned from your own Facebook, or any social media groups you’re linked to, or any information you receive,” said Williams.

When you look at the transcript they seem to be asking her to let them know any info about the far Right that Swansea BLM have found out through their own research or contacts. Of course, this is info that the police wouldn't have access to if it was shared in a private group, but it looks more like Swansea police asking her to do their investigative legwork for them.

If she does know names etc of genuine far Right activists in Wales, hopefully she's passed them on. And by 'genuine activists' I mean those making death threats or planning illegal stuff, not people being rude on Twitter.

Top Bottom