Al Fuggit and Harrods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The surprise is that 'news' he was fuggin his staff is news!!

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
On BBC News tonight, reported there where 19 complaints registered, from 19 different women, in 19 years. Would you have thought that someone in Met Police, or, DPP would have at least thought "no smoke without fire" ?

You would have thought that once there were a few it would have been enough to make them look again at the others but I think cases like Cyril Smith show how reluctant the police were to do much even when there were several complaints. Max Clifford was only arrested in 2012 when the police reviewed complaints made in 1977 as part of the Saville/Yew Tree investigation.

Back then the police often had a she-said/he-said approach to sexual assault and weren't interested without corroborating evidence.

Same goes for the grooming gang allegations, and abuse in children's homes, and allegations against police officers and clergy. Claims were just dismissed without investigation or even publicity, which of course meant others didn't come forward. I'd like to see a report into children's homes of the 50's to 80's in the way the Jay Report covered the grooming gangs. So many of those children will have been irreparably damaged, ignored and rejected by the system over and over.

Ian H

Legendary Member
At an the level of individual complaints she said/he said is a hurdle.

The failure with Fayed, as with the small set of allegations against Savile during his lifetime, was to join up the dots between cases that looked alike.

Factor in also that 'minor' sexual assaults were not treated seriously. There's even a 60s episode of The Navy Lark involving the crew and a female secretary (cue indignant squeals and uproarious audience laughter) - behaviour that would probably result in instant dismissal today.

BoldonLad

Factor in also that 'minor' sexual assaults were not treated seriously. There's even a 60s episode of The Navy Lark involving the crew and a female secretary (cue indignant squeals and uproarious audience laughter) - behaviour that would probably result in instant dismissal today.

Yes, as an “oldie”, I can honestly say, what was viewed as “acceptable” office behaviour in the 60’s would not be viewed in the same way now. Quite rightly of course.

Yes, as an “oldie”, I can honestly say, what was viewed as “acceptable” office behaviour in the 60’s would not be viewed in the same way now. Quite rightly of course.

Light began to dawn over what was previously regarded as 'acceptable' in the office in the early/mid eighties. I was asked a question at a promotion board c1985 about how I would handle an older male, I think the question related to a County Court Bailiff, taking liberties with a young female clerk.

The term sexual harassment (or something else similar) had recently entered the departmental lexicon and I deployed it to my advantage.

BoldonLad

Light began to dawn over what was previously regarded as 'acceptable' in the office in the early/mid eighties. I was asked a question at a promotion board c1985 about how I would handle an older male, I think the question related to a County Court Bailiff, taking liberties with a young female clerk.

The term sexual harassment (or something else similar) had recently entered the departmental lexicon and I deployed it to my advantage.

Agreed. I am not THAT old, I was still working during the 80s and 90s 😂

Joking aside. The whole “dynamic” between men/women has changed significantly in my life time (at least, in the former area of heavy industry in which I live). That is not just in the sexual context, but, in life expectations in general. sometimes listen to my children (in their 50s) talk about their grandparents. The grandfathers (now deceased) often come in for criticism. This is often due to looking at the behaviour of 1960 though 2024 eyes. I am not saying the way it was is or was right, but, as the saying goes “things were different then”.

Last edited:
Fuggin is piss take on Fayed's pronunciation of the word.

In English the word, spelled correctly, is a slang term for intercourse. Fuggin without consent is rape.
Thanks for the explanation, a english saying which also gets censored would be ''no sh!t Sherlock''.
I knew and known what it meant but you're original quote reads as if it would be news he was having intercourse with employees, but the actual news is that is was all without consent. And that he was protected similar to how many other predators where protected in the past from Met officers to Saville.

If he would just been fugging half of his employees with their full consent it wasn't news.

Thanks for the explanation, a english saying which also gets censored would be ''no sh!t Sherlock''.
I knew and known what it meant but you're original quote reads as if it would be news he was having intercourse with employees, but the actual news is that is was all without consent. And that he was protected similar to how many other predators where protected in the past from Met officers to Saville.

If he would just been fugging half of his employees with their full consent it wasn't news.

My original comment was ironic; his habits were in plain sight if one bothered to look.

matticus

Guru
What was it that triggered this latest round of revelations? The story seemed to appear (almost) fully formed in the press - unless I missed a chapter.
Just curious, as he's been dead a fair while.

Reactions: C R
BBC documentary and podcast has been researching it I think. Allegations made public in advance of that being shown I suppose. That would account for the allegations being so detailed and comprehensive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz6x635wpjxo

Perhaps been an open secret amongst journalists for years but nobody was ready to/had the evidence to tackle it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom