As long as the shareholders don't suffer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What's that got to do with it?, is there a discount for retirees?, in which case, I may be due a very big rebate ;)

Yes. If you get pension credit you're eligible for up to 50% off, which the rate you're paying suggests it's already been done.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes. If you get pension credit you're eligible for up to 50% off, which the rate you're paying suggests it's already been done.

I don’t qualify for or get pension credit. That is me paying “normal” water bill. Two people in modern 4 bed detached house, Council Tax band D.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I don’t qualify for or get pension credit. That is me paying “normal” water bill. Two people in modern 4 bed detached house, Council Tax band D.

Then I've no idea why your rate is reduced. Council tax band and property size have nothing to do with, it's all based on means and whatever benefits/credit you receive.

BoldonLad

Then I've no idea why your rate is reduced. Council tax band and property size have nothing to do with, it's all based on means and whatever benefits/credit you receive.

I think we have our wires crossed here. Water Bills (for domestic consumers), which is what we (or at least I) are/am talking about are based on the rateable value of the property (for an unmetered supply), or, actual usage, via a water meter (for a metered supply). There may be means testing for those who rely on benefits to pay their water bill, but, for the rest of us, income is not relevant.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think we have our wires crossed here. Water Bills (for domestic consumers), which is what we (or at least I) are/am talking about are based on the rateable value of the property (for an unmetered supply), or, actual usage, via a water meter (for a metered supply). There may be means testing for those who rely on benefits to pay their water bill, but, for the rest of us, income is not relevant.

I think you're right. Your rate being so close to my own threw me.

BoldonLad

Water companies have to offer social tariffs for people on low incomes:

https://www.ccw.org.uk/save-money-and-water/help-with-bills/#social-tariffs

There are also alternative charging routines like Aqua Care Plus and Water Sure.

Details vary from one supply company to the next.

I stand corrected, I should have said, income is not relevant unless it is less than the amount specified for your particular area. In "my" area (Northumbrian Water) that level is £23,933 and your annual water bill is more than 3% of your household annual income (net of housing costs, rent or mortgage payments).

It would appear that Portsmouth is more generous, but, I will not be moving there ;)

BoldonLad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gmx8d51xo, the shareholders may suffer, but, I doubt the legal profession will. Standby for the latest "no win no fee" bonanza ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gmx8d51xo, the shareholders may suffer, but, I doubt the legal profession will. Standby for the latest "no win no fee" bonanza ;)
Yes but for some reason it always seems to work the same as for example the council sending in traffic wardens frequently during school runs to force parents to park decently. Despite all kind of excuses when asked, if the consequences are high enough suddenly they can park normally or in case of these water companies make some investments to stop the need to pollute waterways. We just need an government with enough balls to tell them(force them) not to overcharge consumers but take a hit on their profits

ebikeerwidnes

Yes but for some reason it always seems to work the same as for example the council sending in traffic wardens frequently during school runs to force parents to park decently. Despite all kind of excuses when asked, if the consequences are high enough suddenly they can park normally or in case of these water companies make some investments to stop the need to pollute waterways. We just need an government with enough balls to tell them(force them) not to overcharge consumers but take a hit on their profits

In other words a proper regulator with real teeth and proper regulations to enforce

Should be workable enough as long as the people setting it up are basing it on looking after the interests of the public

not that I am suggesting that "some people" have been relaxing the regulations to help out their mates or make a profit
or set themselves up with a nice job after they loose their seat
but.......

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom