Back to the Good 'Ole Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/16/rules-gm-farming-cars-top-uk-bonfire-eu-laws-brexit

Back to pounds and ounces, Why not sell items in pounds, ounces and the metric system? Use both. It's simple arithmetic or is thi It would be nice if they could solve the supply chain issues to supermarkets so that things can be sold in pounds/ounces.

Crown stamp on pint glasses? Who actually stays awake at night worrying about that?

Goodbye clean air/water/food/HS at work?

How long before decimalisation is reversed? This is the work of a bunch of old white guys who wish it was 1950. Why do they want to take the UK back in time when everywhere else is advancing?

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
In addition to my OP, the UK was never barred from using imperial measures anyway. EU DIrective 2009/3/EC permitted the indefinite use of mile/yard/foot/inch as well as pint and the Troy Ounce for precious metals.

classic33

Never gone into a pub and asked for a 1/2 litre of Guinness yet. The "loss" of the crown on a pint glass came about as a standardised marking system during production.

The Troy Ounce is a French invention, not a British one. I've never used kilometres when talking about distance. Below a yard it's use millimetres because that's what nearly everyone uses when selling items by a size.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Local libraries pre-austerity used to provide a Memory Box service. Care homes and day centres for the elderly/elderly mentally infirm could borrow boxes of historical nick-nacks to seed conversation and reminiscence work. Old toys and magazines and vinyl and knitting patterns and recipes and games and ration books and gas masks and photos and rickets and sexism.. Remember these? Ooh, yes!
Who knew these would become a manifesto for government in the C21st, that we would all be obliged to live in an episode of Z-Cars and drive Hillman Imps to the p*ki shop for our Player's Weights.

Bliss it was that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was to be locked forever in the cheese dream of your bitter, alzheimic grandparents.

Will younger generations forgive the Conservative Party?

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
You'll need to reintroduce imperial weights and measures to the school curriculum if you want people to understand how to use them. That seems a waste of money when we haven't done that since the early 1970s.

Has he just got the wrong end of the stick when his party asked him to return the country to British Imperialism?

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
Local libraries pre-austerity used to provide a Memory Box service. Care homes and day centres for the elderly/elderly mentally infirm could borrow boxes of historical nick-nacks to seed conversation and reminiscence work. Old toys and magazines and vinyl and knitting patterns and recipes and games and ration books and gas masks and photos and rickets and sexism.. Remember these? Ooh, yes!
Who knew these would become a manifesto for government in the C21st, that we would all be obliged to live in an episode of Z-Cars and drive Hillman Imps to the p*ki shop for our Player's Weights.

Bliss it was that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was to be locked forever in the cheese dream of your bitter, alzheimic grandparents.

Will younger generations forgive the Conservative Party?

No. I've never forgiven them for Thatcher.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Starting to look like Tory Team Brexit is getting started working through their Daily Mail readers' wish-list. I expect it'll be the death penalty next.

And after that? I think I can guess.

Cyclists.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
You'll need to reintroduce imperial weights and measures to the school curriculum if you want people to understand how to use them. That seems a waste of money when we haven't done that since the early 1970s.

Has he just got the wrong end of the stick when his party asked him to return the country to British Imperialism?

When I was at school in Speyside and Aberdeen, we were taught to deal with both systems. It's just simple arithmetic as I mentioned in the OP.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Back to pounds and ounces,
EU DIrective 2009/3/EC permitted the indefinite use of mile/yard/foot/inch as well as pint and the Troy Ounce for precious metals.
You see, what you have done is complain we are going back to pounds and ounces, then in your next post said 'anyway, what is the problem, we have always been able to use pints/miles/yards etc?' Well, pints, miles/yards etc aren't lbs and ozs are they?

Top Bottom