Badenoch's (Lack Of) Vision Quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has the resident Matt fan posted this yet?
1791227094043.png
 
OP
OP
Psamathe

Psamathe

Squire
I think they are seriously under appreciating how many people value environmental protection, clean rivers / beaches etc. with their pledge to scrap the EA and Natural England, do away with BNG, cut planning oversight and so on. I’m not sure many voters want that, I’m as pro-development as anyone and even I think it’s ridiculously dangerous but someone with a bit of money obviously has the ear of the Shadow Chancellor.
Maybe also overlooking that high %age of electorate also support Net Zero to start trying to address Climate Change.

I personally regard the reception speakers get at Party Conferences and the "mood" in those halls are pretty irrelevant. when talking to your fanatical supporters you're guaranteed a positive reception.
 

Pross

Guru
Maybe also overlooking that high %age of electorate also support Net Zero to start trying to address Climate Change.

I personally regard the reception speakers get at Party Conferences and the "mood" in those halls are pretty irrelevant. when talking to your fanatical supporters you're guaranteed a positive reception.

Yep, they all seem to make the mistake that people who join a political party are typical of their potential voters whereas the reality is that even those at the more moderate ends of the delegates are pretty radical compared to the majority of the population. You have to be leaning quite heavily in one direction or other to join a political party and even more so to attend a conference.

I would say that many on here are more politically engaged than the majority of the public and yet I don’t think many are members of a political party or even staunchly partisan in their voting habits. You don’t win elections by solely appealing to party members and even less so by appealing to those on an extreme end of the party. I don’t really understand why so much coverage is given to conference season other than they allow political correspondents to have a few weeks getting the drinks in on expenses.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Interesting views from Telegraph's Tim Stanley. It's a pity that Badenoch, whose background and position in politics she's achieved he admires, is chasing the voters who despise her for what she is and where she came from.

There is a centre right voice that need articulating, even if one disagrees with all/most of it, in order to keep the Left on its toes and its arguments cogent/tested.

https://bsky.app/profile/rolandmcs.bsky.social/post/3mx76cor7zc2x
 
OP
OP
Psamathe

Psamathe

Squire
Interesting listening to Curtis on the current state of polling; Conservatives attending Conference all talking about how well everything is going yet the Party is still polling lower than their recent (2024) General Election wipe-out.
 

secretsqirrel

spiteful class warrior
Meanwhile in 'Badenoch is always 100% right' (apart from when she isn't) Toryland...

View attachment 17605

£10 billion! ……..that will be the Temu version.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Interesting listening to Curtis on the current state of polling; Conservatives attending Conference all talking about how well everything is going yet the Party is still polling lower than their recent (2024) General Election wipe-out.

I think they Tories have translated "not sinking even further" (mostly as a result of Reform's dodgy stuff, I suspect) into "Go back to your constituencies are prepare for government!", rather than just being slightly less moribund in 3rd or 4th place in the polls.
 

icowden

Pharaoh
Interesting listening to Curtis on the current state of polling; Conservatives attending Conference all talking about how well everything is going yet the Party is still polling lower than their recent (2024) General Election wipe-out.

Hence the new regular column in Private Eye from Dee Nial, Ex Tory MP.
 
OP
OP
Psamathe

Psamathe

Squire
The expression "Not the fizziest drink in the fridge" comes to mind
Kemi Badenoch has denied she compared a new air defence system proposed by the party to Israel’s Iron Dome, despite using the term in her press release and a newspaper article.
...
In a piece authored by Badenoch in the Sun, which illustrated its front page with an image of Israel’s Iron Dome, she wrote: “Modelled on Israel’s ‘Iron Dome’
(from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2026/oct/06/badenoch-british-iron-dome-plan-tory-press-release)
 
OP
OP
Psamathe

Psamathe

Squire
I found aspects of TV reports from Conservative Conference amusing, mainly the way most attendees who hold no position in the party, just constituency supporters attending talk about "Kemi" using just her christian name "Kemi" like they know her personally, good friends, on first name terms. I bet for most the closest they've ever been to her was when they were sitting in the audience and she was on stage in front of an autocue.
 
Top Bottom