But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobzmyunkle

Woman goes to palace and is confronted by aged racist. Not a total surprise, a year or two back it might well have been Phil the Greek himself.
The only surprise for me is the amount of furore in the MSM. Looks like they feel they can run with this one - hopefully another (very small) nail in the coffin of deference

D

Deleted member 28

Yes, really. Do you really live in such a monocultural, mono-heritage bubble?

Mmmmmm......................no.

I live in Wolverhampton, remember!

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
And yet you are unable to embrace the idea that a family with black skin could have been living in the UK for *many* generations.
https://www.futurelearn.com/info/courses/black-tudors/0/steps/224726#:~:text=Evidence has been found of,period (1485-1603).

Remember she looked at the name badge. Maybe if she'd been called Angela Smith the conversation might have gone differently. To my mind, a black person with an African sounding name is likely to either be an immigrant or have parents or grandparents who were.

Her heritage is the reason she was there, to represent 'African and Caribbean heritage women'. And while she acknowledges her heritage, her descent and where she's 'from' as three distinct parts of her identity, that distinction may be lost on some, perhaps especially on those who observe their own ancestry through the other end of the colonial telescope.

oldwheels

Seems a bit insensitive to put it mildly but not unexpected from that class of person.
I did ask a radiologist recently who was doing some test on me where she came from as I could not place her accent. Perfectly innocent question and we had a pleasant conversation. Transpired it was South America but as she did not elaborate I did not enquire exactly where.

Moodyman

Can't see what all the fuss is about myself, her parents were obviously from somewhere else other than the UK so why not just say?

Because a lot of coloured people (brown and black) feel that they’re viewed with suspicion and their loyalty questioned.

We know full well what the questioner meant, but we like to tell him/her that we’re one of them. So, reply British.

Many want to ensure they pass the ‘Tebbit test’ and decorated their shop windows with the Union Jack during the platinum jubilee or adorn their cars with the England flag during major tournaments (taxi drivers particularly).

Last edited:

Moodyman

It’s perfectly normal to enquire about a person’s background. It shows you take interest - the unusual accent or their frizzy hair. But I feel the question is often worded badly.

Where you from?

The bold bit is what causes alarm as it suggests you’re not one of us. So, there is an immediate you vs us.

Where is that accent from? Or What is your family heritage? Might be better.

It moves the question away from the individual and to their characteristics.

Ian H

Guru
The bloody-minded, condescending persistence of the questioning is what struck me - refusing to accept the answers given.

It’s perfectly normal to enquire about a person’s background. It shows you take interest - the unusual accent or their frizzy hair. But I feel the question is often worded badly.

Where you from?

The bold bit is what causes alarm as it suggests you’re not one of us. So, there is an immediate you vs us.

Where is that accent from? Or What is your family heritage? Might be better.

It moves the question away from the individual and to their characteristics.
That doesn't make sense. What does 'their characteristics' mean other than in reference to the person in question?
And Fulani's accent is, as you'd expect, fairly classless educated English.

mudsticks

Squire
Remember she looked at the name badge. Maybe if she'd been called Angela Smith the conversation might have gone differently. To my mind, a black person with an African sounding name is likely to either be an immigrant or have parents or grandparents who were.

Her heritage is the reason she was there, to represent 'African and Caribbean heritage women'. And while she acknowledges her heritage, her descent and where she's 'from' as three distinct parts of her identity, that distinction may be lost on some, perhaps especially on those who observe their own ancestry through the other end of the colonial telescope.

Hmmn, I don't think there's any excuse for her abject and persistently racist rudeness I'm afraid.

Age 'class' (sic🙄) background or whatever..

It's not like she's some little old lady from the back of beyond, who has never come into contact with anyone from 'outside of the village' which might excuse some social ineptness, in this kind of interaction .

'Lady' Hussey, was supposed to be 'welcoming' people to this event.
She's been in the public sphere for sixty years. She knew exactly what she was doing, and saying ..

Probs used to be very dear friends* with the Mitfords dahling..

*I do know people who say stuff like this, and they are fantastically aware of how to put people down, and in their place, if they don't think those certain people quite 'fit'.

Moodyman

Is "coloured people" OK now?

Yes. Black when talking about a black persons, brown when talking about about a brown persons, and coloured (or persons of colour) when discussing a group of people of different colour.

Everything is about context.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
Woman goes to palace and is confronted by aged racist.

Racist?

Insensitive? Yes
Rude? Probably, but hard to tell tone and such from the transcript we have.
Offensive? Well, that's more down to the beholder. I'll delay judgement on that ...

Racist? I'm not seeing anything in the material presented here thus far. She hasn't mistreated the woman because of her race/colour/heritage, or discriminated against her. She's merely been (perhaps overly) curious about someone's background and heritage.

D

Deleted member 28

And yet you are unable to embrace the idea that a family with black skin could have been living in the UK for *many* generations.
https://www.futurelearn.com/info/courses/black-tudors/0/steps/224726#:~:text=Evidence has been found of,period (1485-1603).

Of course but ultimately they may have originated from elsewhere which is all that was asked.

I know someone who's surname is Ondrac and I asked her where she originally came from and after stating 'Ashmore Park ' she then went on to explain her Grandparents were Polish, neither of us thought it was a strange thing to ask?

Moodyman

The bloody-minded, condescending persistence of the questioning is what struck me - refusing to accept the answers given.

That doesn't make sense. What does 'their characteristics' mean other than in reference to the person in question?
And Fulani's accent is, as you'd expect, fairly classless educated English.

Some characteristics are not about an individual’s race. An accent is geographic. Someone with a dark skin may have lived in a hot climate for a while.

I’m racially brown. But when I’ve been cycling too long in the sun, I can look borderline black. It’s not unusual for people to comment on my colour. Do I get offended? No.

Top Bottom