But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I the only here who doesn't have a Times subscription? Are they free to NACA Members of High Regard??

12ft.io no longer works with The Times but here’s a picture of the page.

68C83206-8AA8-4D37-998E-0AB48FA3B7A9.jpeg

For those with poor vision, OCR delivers this. Wise words, I’m sure you will agree.
lr fair soing rt,ks hottntsioi our sy.seas
OO
Comment
Our obsession with race is pushing us apart
Black or s hite. Britons haw more in common %hit each other than with an ethnic group else' to around the %orkl
etab10111MAIMI
B. Amami. WI,* sat* a ammo will Milky Assothmaa am Soy do oft WA pegle saw the leg of the *aril Foam the wry they talk fla Ile soma they blue, boas thew War, b thee calm a hbei Forms a New (Waft oe dam Yost sremotelo a 0 hot pore. is *hoe alters more tams be manliee a hotel peeves Is Or with Lornaoo borough et Sole Pl►usiglas Uncap-AaWflaira re am Matra nay are. Amalaarrh Thu IMI,Ola A mamas swim. lbst it astra, me • amelly why Mum lows Ishii Armes.. 'pea* a At as ear the twat use ties oho& Ser dart Nutria, waa owe, arearshl ad he bad" a a KAM Aare flea woman She Would bee beg, and tomb hoe America ko Myrna 6. the oaths, Whim I as hip he hada wall ear of done Aswileasa as a WWI Pother•s* ad the Norms wallas ,e4 tar oak' 400be► am the Aswooto Irma who Mr MI alai 1 gaol Oath thee wukentama ow wet Mkt' Swami 'ankh Isarree la Fa. ak Thema" mow Mai paw* a Myrna duo is an, as camtry a the mega lbw abloom Is he bath. shoal tarot dorm. fuevoehr a hot Moose. &Moab between sch ad pow. Whoa* It whom velar row thal costae* Ike cousin, An Aenersoft swots a lir &Iwo
la ease fawn Brandeis °how to rntrs 0,welela a ihochribly a letheste when be s fah OS Ind The sates • tear ot other block pro* 'whale %owls Ilselswe Mahn done/ het saw tom Also' car lo attain so Pastas ademet, In lad Aiwa beta Rains*. nerd. Landow et thy Me to too snenpiate from Itarlseke. Met • Moak Whoa "hews. 11 eke armed to Ilaut•ey head Wades to otudy toortanuady thaw She dt.coured ah Abe. Amor group hew and • oseasural -To her Mums. by swolog ....-eah* she seas oo her w4frato lin' ban *bad thr had sad tirdeurana, tnwka d sly heart awl lank me to a Oar I had shot twat • all op the bwaaw a pbaw to "AEA ehe emend welsbe b.. lay asaiwithes weft Alma house es laelen Ilan,' sew ad& "Ili demi, tome Paws rup• bight haslet
Wt. ought to distrust celebrations of a triwts.-d blad( identity
Ow tow tekul people Meehan bawl has ter ad be ....hap Uhl are ' TU. la spa's'm ow. te the% kick Frapir a intro art Atoms" duct at &MAR Thai Herr he but Italsi sod gouda*. bless to be hid ohm %ulna I honey wee Meal Wow she was Nan by lag Saab Showy a a (ha at' es hat a Buchasedion Palls* Its swath Ars Wadi." bed (hawed heehaw. Ire Naat. maw ad adopted Ahara•-ityllr dreemh. the did sot My ehr woe hoes Att. Why! imam Ike a Paha law • wet Macaw Nips Fulani •
a "Wen. mar Szipa • as lih• a we. ad Niel is It erne a Wed Attache arcs I ghat &who* the •math le ailed !mare Levu Ilibetboue a tains slag mate .sera she would WAS be Beni She boa lots NA Idea • Who She Mai mew Mal arrabsee amt It • sot etlf-eadireed, am ha sod Ile Lamp urban a pleraS hewn Csaireety • Ihtshalled valise limber ea a 'winos toed...dos of I how. Proles ....rah I weir:mot that helm lot I Imalle,1 is &dale She is ell.e.etteroue ea bgle dielin as Alamo. idadory bad wog" nom whew eoghbor thee thie 'drably a taw Wee We ugh elkodol sots her WWI bombe roe brawled 'he • as a k few*" Alkali 'Aral baperPar a from would he shame^ quote* If that pooh who mei train bras. inalht. [abloom. Ipt &drug sera* *la (*Ayala a mammal Mk! gwailty, /maw ugh ahem. AM a toot woos is adtadwd le the rodbpd. mho" et Aiwa rawly os he bar ot %ha ISMA people ath Wedge people they are ilegol as mod) tu One aatemedir a by Oat ram In that loot orosilernot as mut by the "Mew ti thee Ala net is eorethlas that dat rood.= an r Oa drat sal — they flesh tdhi Itesho war obeemalally lowspors bet awn as the aura larll 0.1r 01bas sorest D.. wham they sower that a Wad peons se one tutdauesa attached to a Mot proem Men a aathaet The &MA h saw Lkhtl Ohsbsullydrb Biassed isle MOW *dim apaaroatiry stelae Marry d 41.01ww whg

=gee %Inbaole Me haunt* we'd tad, to teredele Sat Er • as ems dor bad prop* a AMMO airri the areal of the ocield As herd "eels &gum a•aate • that at tbe cease of the wanes* low the swam* Is Or coma., • the Coloamortaltb. She was a mamma who Imhof Me root d tht pet* ea dr Coeurhenerahh* The o powpaock I low am a inaht ewe moths ban Cabana Marl in be pewit a sueftwio. aged! ddletem Nun each Ohre. Amapa and keerot Itaogisloh sot Orhtrbd theihow brehnIdee ash pimply as epep Mr Irma brgrelfevall way_ okodoest gore Mew liwompre that euehene. thus to=lwer Sabe sex armata her mi. dim curet Is Melia *too bit dada Saw a a Ammon wombs sot as
scam be Mack and harem people soma the world h gar aid I hooey tam*, reboacted 101 thday moetris Noe days hollow Cht•Ons. all wined rips[ hawse. the two soma A. a .uvoulet lam b 1.shoe poi t "At We 111141,44.= with w sena and vadariaarrarau Lady Seven Ahead Mt gado. agrolno► to theanballIlb all war sad. had Ilhallahas they
Tits genie langt102 of race pi is tacking in Arline huminty
amooti to 14. Want The oak 'lady Sam ha giolk,od a. &wpm bee a tararra. of Or soesetattree geedeod boa • urateshi foe tau elowogenty Ss tears row about the moo wan *ham bait Om • ant the Chaahno start at twroluar whoa* Nap aware rto. is the fiddle Wow seam Pit limas larlateatae. *warelrilar "Ighe Is thee bale It to to haste a sproloo taina•Cy Oar obwouch ugh tow • mho, se Its attacked b each other Lad at aw am oh itachni. w l to are a black Mk* pesos • Whew war ea. 'mak honer loadlimeme? Its as4 ethoeur owe mouths [kris truth bialg blob ponds has wow SI COMM& lab *41.1r Brash ptople dos they de with Idagi parab •m* at tot di the mold
Fat t▪ he best analysis ax:1comynfsitary on the political tindsope soraiwomisi•

Last edited:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Anyway, it could go in this thread or the pub one, but I've witnessed at close quarter a 'Where do you really come from?' exchange in my local, in which a then friend of mine was not the victim but the antagonist. I'm ashamed to recount that my friend targeted a young Welshman of South Asian ethnicity - the only person in the room who wasn't white - in order to bait him with a disingenuous and persistent line of questioning about his origins and identity. The young man greeted this assault with much more equanimity than my friend deserved. One of his mates, however, was clearly simmering with rage and looked intent on punching my friend's head in. I successfully discouraged him from doing this, by means of disrupting the direction of the conversation and afterwards apologising on the friend's behalf. And also pleading clemency on account of age (the friend was in his 70s). I should have let the belligerent racist little bastard take a pasting - he resented my intervention and implied criticism of his behaviour anyway, and continued to behave like an arsehole on future occasions. He later stopped speaking to me just because I told him he was a UKIP-voting twat. Racists are very thin-skinned.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

Anyway, it could go in this thread or the pub one, but I've witnessed at close quarter a 'Where do you really come from?' exchange in my local, in which a then friend of mine was not the victim but the antagonist. I'm ashamed to recount that my friend targeted a young Welshman of South Asian ethnicity - the only person in the room who wasn't white - in order to bait him with a disingenuous and persistent line of questioning about his origins and identity. The young man greeted this assault with much more equanimity than my friend deserved. One of his mates, however, was clearly simmering with rage and looked intent on punching my friend's head in. I successfully discouraged him from doing this, by means of disrupting the direction of the conversation and afterwards apologising on the friend's behalf. And also pleading clemency on account of age (the friend was in his 70s). I should have let the belligerent racist little bastard take a pasting - he resented my intervention and implied criticism of his behaviour anyway, and continued to behave like an peanut on future occasions. He later stopped speaking to me just because I told him he was a UKIP-voting twat. Racists are very thin-skinned.

Cool story bro!

D

Deleted member 28

You're getting the hang of this interweb thingy after all.

You're a good teacher, I picked that one up from you.

Ian H

Guru
Anyway, it could go in this thread or the pub one, but I've witnessed at close quarter a 'Where do you really come from?' exchange in my local, in which a then friend of mine was not the victim but the antagonist. I'm ashamed to recount that my friend targeted a young Welshman of South Asian ethnicity - the only person in the room who wasn't white - in order to bait him with a disingenuous and persistent line of questioning about his origins and identity. The young man greeted this assault with much more equanimity than my friend deserved. One of his mates, however, was clearly simmering with rage and looked intent on punching my friend's head in. I successfully discouraged him from doing this, by means of disrupting the direction of the conversation and afterwards apologising on the friend's behalf. And also pleading clemency on account of age (the friend was in his 70s). I should have let the belligerent racist little bastard take a pasting - he resented my intervention and implied criticism of his behaviour anyway, and continued to behave like an arsehole on future occasions. He later stopped speaking to me just because I told him he was a UKIP-voting twat. Racists are very thin-skinned.
I've seen stuff directed at friends - and my late mother's similar line of questioning, fortunately directed at me about an absent friend, rather than at him.
But perhaps, as I reach the three-score-and-ten mark, I'll suddenly turn right-wing & racist (it seems to be a thing).

All uphill

Another story.

I used to live in a country far away.
This week I had reason to discuss a purchase from a local trader, and from their name I was confident their antecedents came from that faraway country.
With an effort I managed not to start talking to them about my time there, realising that it might not be welcome and was irrelevant to our discussion.
It wasn't easy!

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I’ve recently had a kind of reverse where are you really from moment.

I was at a cafe meeting for Spanish language learners and Spanish native speakers, trying to get my ear tuned in as a beginner. I have a fairly good ear for accents and can usually tell someone’s language of origin, even if their English is excellent or near native.

Our table was a mix although among the fluent speakers I couldn’t tell who was native and who was an advanced second language speaker. James, seated to my left, was a black man and fluently involved in the conversation. When my basic Spanish ran out and he had to answer me in English, I was surprised to hear a solid Belfast accent. Knowing that his skin colour didn’t mean he wasn’t Irish I asked him what part of Ireland he was from. That was when I got my second surprise; he wasn’t Irish and had never been there. So how come his accent was so convincing? All his flatmates are Irish and he is an excellent mimic.

Turns out he’s from Trinidad and he’s been speaking with this Belfast accent so long that it’s become his default.

Top Bottom