"Celebrities" and Social Media

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect the action by LBK&C will involve a brief chat with Ms Allsopp and her son followed by file closed/NFA. Doing nothing is not an option if only because of the risk of an accusation of 'two tier child protection'.

Who the hell thought it needed reporting?

Other sites suggest it was either malicious or journalists looking for a story.

Bazzer

Too often Social Services are damned if they do act and damned if they don't. Having the gutter press crawling all over this doesn't help anyone.
My mother was recently admitted to hospital with a seemingly unexplained broken hip. Drs reported it to Social Services and my sister had 3 telephone calls from them, before a 4th call finally confirmed they had no concerns. - It was only further investigations by the hospital after the initial contact, that it was established Mum's bones are now particularly weak and could break any time.

Beebo

Veteran
Too often Social Services are damned if they do act and damned if they don't. Having the gutter press crawling all over this doesn't help anyone.
My mother was recently admitted to hospital with a seemingly unexplained broken hip. Drs reported it to Social Services and my sister had 3 telephone calls from them, before a 4th call finally confirmed they had no concerns. - It was only further investigations by the hospital after the initial contact, that it was established Mum's bones are now particularly weak and could break any time.

A work colleague had social service visits when their baby fell off the kitchen worktop.

I think people's attitudes might be a bit different if it had been an unemployed single parent from a council estate who let their 15 year old tour Europe. I wouldn't have let my kids do it but not really a matter for social services, though of course they quite rightly have to look at every report.

Reactions: C R

Ian H

Legendary Member
I think people's attitudes might be a bit different if it had been an unemployed single parent from a council estate who let their 15 year old tour Europe. I wouldn't have let my kids do it but not really a matter for social services, though of course they quite rightly have to look at every report.

'People' wouldn't have been aware.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
'People' wouldn't have been aware.

I dunno, the Jay Slater story gained quite a bit of coverage.

If it had been Katie Price's 15 year old, there would have been more condemnation and reports to social services. Kirsty brought it up herself on Twitter as I recall. It wasn't dug up by the gutter press.

I think it's probably a non story though because I doubt this is inter railing as most people think of it. More like getting organised trains between big cities, staying in nice pre booked hostels or hotels, and having the money to eat in nice places and generally avoid being in dodgy areas.

She doesn't strike me as a parent who would let her child leave for europe with just a train pass and a bank card and no plan.

matticus

Guru
She doesn't strike me as a parent who would let her child leave for europe with just a train pass and a bank card and no plan.

Ah, so it's ok for HER to do it, but I bet you'd be all over someone like Katie Price!!! Two-tier trial by social media if you ask me !!!

;- )

Lol. Stupid to let a 15 year old go off round Europe just with a similar age mate imo, but I reckon he had a list of his mum and dad's mates or relatives who live in Paris, Lisbon, or wherever, so there will have been somewhere to crash or someone to rescue him.

Kirsty didn't help when she went on to say that 15 year old girls could easily go interrailing round Europe without problems. I quite like her shows but she does live in a bit of a bubble of poshness.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I know all that, my point was that it's not just when it's the offspring of someone well known that these kinds of stories hit the headlines.

Top Bottom