Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Many years ago I was a skeptic. There’s certainly more rain coming down every year so that is enough evidence. What happened with the Dubai flooding? I’ve never seen anything like it. Could it be cloud seeding techniques?

Not denying that climate change is happening, but, the Dubai event, think about it. The media is reporting "18 months rain in one day", but, the typical annual rainfall for Dubai is approximately 6 inches, so, they got approximately 9 inches in one day, doesn't sound quite as drastic, does it?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Not denying that climate change is happening, but, the Dubai event, think about it. The media is reporting "18 months rain in one day", but, the typical annual rainfall for Dubai is approximately 6 inches, so, they got approximately 9 inches in one day, doesn't sound quite as drastic, does it?

This. Absolutely this. Their drainage infrastructure just isn't up to handling what would cause issues for a more varied country weather wise, but looks pretty catastrophic there.

But no, it's because they fired silver pellets into the clouds or something. Because science.

matticus

Guru

Acksherly, BBC Science is saying 10in vs 4in-per-year, but anyway ... :P [ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68839043 ]

You make a valid point about the "MONTHS OF RAIN IN ONE DAY!!!!!" type headline. If more days are dry than wet - people say this used to be the case in the UK, pfffft - then many wet days will be of the "MANY DAYS RAIN, ALL AT ONCE" type. It's slightly shoddy reporting.

Sometimes ...

p.s. dunno about you, but 10inches (of rain) still seems an awful lot to me. In one go!

Top Bottom