Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

I fear we're already digging a big enough hole for ourselves without their help.

Ian H

Guru
What surprises me is how relatively few climate scientists have been bought off by the oil corps in their efforts to introduce doubt into what is settled science.

Only about 3% is it.?

Given the dosh the fossil fuel guys have got to splash around I think it speaks quite highly of the integrity of all.those scientists who refuse to be bought.

Most of those scientists are conscientious people who care very much about their work. I was riding home with one just the other night.

mudsticks

Squire
Most of those scientists are conscientious people who care very much about their work. I was riding home with one just the other night.
Yes I know they are.
There's a few in my circle too.

Decent scientists aren't that easily bought.

They know their reputations would be in shreds if they didn't do their work with diligence and integrity.

What makes me laugh (somewhat hollowly) is these people who say that they're not going to 'believe' in man made climate change if they can't be shown 100% proof of exactly what's going to happen with our climate in the future, despite signs of breakdown, and excessive temperature rises already being measurably present .

As if they'll only be willing to admit "Oh yeah I see now we're in deep sh*t"
Only once we're irreversibly in deep sh*t..

By which time of course the 'experiment' has been done, disaster is here and it's way too late to even have some ameliorating effect..

Just what is it about developing a cleaner greener, less exploitative, pleasanter and more equitable future for our planet, that these people so object to??

mudsticks

Squire
They object to the bit where THEY have to change their ways.

Yup I kind of thought that might be it..

And maybe fear of change at at all.
(ironic)

And possibly even that they might have to admit that us 'laughable' sandal wearing, yoghurt weaving, tree huggers had a point all along :rolleyes:

matticus

Guru
They object to the bit where THEY have to change their ways.

Witness testimony to back this up:

MY first reaction when people tell me to STOP doing something (or change it) is to say Fark You! At some point later I think about what they've said - this can be seconds later, or years. Because I am VERY wise, I usually decide I was right in the first place. But SOMETIMES I realise the other chap(ess) was right (but I couldn't have known, as they cheated by having some extra information, so I am STILL very wise really).

Where did you say this? I can't find it.
In one of the first responses the dat of the dutch water board over a prolonged period don't show the dramatic rise ipcc and other claim. (their accompanied letter do but that's politics)
This is rather a naive statement!

If scientists want to make money, they get jobs in oil/gas, tobacco, Big Pharma. It's not difficult, even I managed a year after graduation funded by oil/gas exploration. By comparison, highly qualified climate scientists are paid peanuts.
I don't agree with you, the green economy shouldn't be a holy house a site/company like this https://www.ftserussell.com/blogs/putting-numbers-global-green-economy which is a rather boring financial data collecting company, reports an 3.1 trillion income for the ''green economy'' and that is over 2012.
Not saying all those scientist pocket it, just saying the question isn't odd it's needed. Because research is one thing, knowning why an research is done, with which motives and so on is the other.

And we all known it, if tommorow there is an article that says something like ''New research shows 85% thinks Hitler was a great guy afterall'' i'm very sure it would be very quickly uncovered that did an research on a forum for far right loonies, inteviewed only the 50 most extreme, and interview 3 others for the balance.

But that's an extreme example but i don't see how the why question should be any different on any topic. Especially what you said a bit later on about big Pharma and such, we should be mindfull for how data can be manipulated, and yes oil, big pharma etc. are the parties that in the past have proven to be willing to take those steps.
Fuel cell for example was a green fuel in the 2000's and is a green fuel now, apart from some niche markets and the us it hasn't come from the ground, the reason is companies like Shell ''embraced it'' to kill it. To only reason it didn't work in the us is because the state has some programs running promoting this fuel (or better said alternative fuels)
What surprises me is how relatively few climate scientists have been bought off by the oil corps in their efforts to introduce doubt into what is settled science.

Only about 3% is it.?

Given the dosh the fossil fuel guys have got to splash around I think it speaks quite highly of the integrity of all.those scientists who refuse to be bought.
Or you think they are integer but in fact that are bought already you just don't know it.

mudsticks

Squire
Witness testimony to back this up:

MY first reaction when people tell me to STOP doing something (or change it) is to say Fark You! At some point later I think about what they've said - this can be seconds later, or years. Because I am VERY wise, I usually decide I was right in the first place. But SOMETIMES I realise the other chap(ess) was right (but I couldn't have known, as they cheated by having some extra information, so I am STILL very wise really).

Oh yes this is / was a very common reaction..

Although in my case I couldn't possibly have 'cheated' as I was no more privy to this 'extra information' than anyone else was.

I think its far more a case of being receptive to hearing the information.

Cos of course if do you acknowledge having heard it, then you might have to take action, or even desist from doing things.

And that's all a bit annoying right ??🤔

Ps I'm sure you are very wise, I mean after all it's a fool who thinks he's a wise man..etc etc 👍🏼

matticus

Guru
Ps I'm sure you are very wise, I mean after all it's a fool who thinks he's a wise man..etc etc 👍🏼

wait-what-huh.gif

Beebo

Veteran
Inexhaustible? How does that work then? Even the sun will “burn out”, eventually.

Estimates are difficult, but even low estimates suggest the core will still be red hot by the time the sun burns out and takes the solar system with it.

matticus

Guru
Estimates are difficult, but even low estimates suggest the core will still be red hot by the time the sun burns out and takes the solar system with it.

Man is almost endlessly creative - especially in ways that use enormous amounts of energy. Think of the New Year's Eve displays you could power using the earth's core! Or sub-orbital rockets to Australia - just for fun!

It would be an interesting thought experiment to work out how fast we could use up that source of geothermal energy, if we reeeeeeeally tried. (Geo-engineering? )

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Yes, well, I recall all the dire warnings that we were going to run out of oil by 2002, and, here we are, still awash with the stuff. ;)

Top Bottom