Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Of course not, but it would help the reds if we better control the greys.
Slight thread diversion, but this has reminded that we've been getting leaflets, ostensibly about red squirrels, from a white supremacist group called something like 'Patriotic Alternative', through the door at work. Expect Shep to start banging on about pine martens any minute.

mudsticks

Squire
Slight thread diversion, but this has reminded that we've been getting leaflets, ostensibly about red squirrels, from a white supremacist group called something like 'Patriotic Alternative', through the door at work. Expect Shep to start banging on about pine martens any minute.

Yikes..

Is this a Swansea specific thing??

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Yikes..

Is this a Swansea specific thing??
No I suspect it's everywhere, though there's been a noticeable uptick of right-wing activity in the area since the airhead owner of a local cinema allowed her premises to become the epicentre of the anti-vax movement. :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Squire
No I suspect it's everywhere, though there's been a noticeable uptick of right-wing activity in the area since the airhead owner of a local cinema allowed her premises to become the epicentre of the anti-vax movement. :rolleyes:

Scarey times..

And let me guess, the grey squirrels pushing out the reds is being used as some desperately clunky analogy to suggest that the majority white population are being 'overrun' by the browns..??

Coming over here...

At least there's no miscegenation.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Scarey times..

And let me guess, the grey squirrels pushing out the reds is being used as some desperately clunky analogy to suggest that the majority white population are being 'overrun' by the browns..??
Yes, of course, combined with a straightforwardly ecofascist line about a 'massive influx' of immigration destroying the 'countryside'. Unfortunately it's quite a clever bit of propaganda - steering clear of all the overtly nasty subtext, using appealing images and wildlife conservation rhetoric and linking unrelated things through repetition and juxtaposition.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, of course, combined with a straightforwardly ecofascist line about a 'massive influx' of immigration destroying the 'countryside'. Unfortunately it's quite a clever bit of propaganda - steering clear of all the overtly nasty subtext, using appealing images and wildlife conservation rhetoric and linking unrelated things through repetition and juxtaposition.

Yuk,
That's horrible.

Immigrants 'destroying the contryside' ??

But yes you do see some hard-line eco-facists, 'some' vegan types even, putting human welfare way down the list of priorities.

This is one of the problems with the whole 'rewilding' movement that seeks to put 'nature' over there in protected spaces predominantly for the white man to roam in for his recreation.

And the rest of the less 'entitled' 'humans' over here, serving the machines that enable that recreation..

As you say it's a clever bit of manipulation , particularly effective in a country that seems to care far more for the likes of the rspb the National Trust, and the flippin donkey sanctuary , than it does to humanitarian agencies.

But thanks for the heads up.
I'd not seen that kind of thing round our way .

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Scarey times..

Yet it makes a much better metaphor for the commie-minded being hounded by the press. Perhaps it will backfire?

mudsticks

Squire
Yet it makes a much better metaphor for the commie-minded being hounded by the press. Perhaps it will backfire?
Well yes you'd like to hope that people, remeber their 'better' selves don't get sucked in by the clunky metaphors.

Sadly in my experience anything that has a tendency to advocate for fwuffy beasties in the fwuffy countryside - and against 'people not like us' falls on very fertile ground.

Lets hope I'm wrong ...

Try typing something with you coffee mug on your touchpad.. it's horrendous (that was off-topic sorry, trying to remind myself to find out which driver had the ''switch off of other pointing device is connected'' option)

Anyway haven't followed the whole squirels discussion i do now about the Asian hornet for example, not a direct result of (human made) climate change, but it is an result of the ability we as human have to conveniently travel and transport goods from one part of the world to the other.. so we might have australian native gigantic spiders in a number of years?

This is one of the problems with the whole 'rewilding' movement that seeks to put 'nature' over there in protected spaces predominantly for the white man to roam in for his recreation.

And the rest of the less 'entitled' 'humans' over here, serving the machines that enable that recreation..

As you say it's a clever bit of manipulation , particularly effective in a country that seems to care far more for the likes of the rspb the National Trust, and the flippin donkey sanctuary , than it does to humanitarian agencies.
With how the National trust goes lately they will soon decide all white trees need to be chopped because white=racist and things like that. Don't get me wrong i'm all for nature but i just don't see a organistation like the National Trust who seem to be more concerned about how they look from the outside then preserving nature manage this.

mudsticks

Squire
With how the National trust goes lately they will soon decide all white trees need to be chopped because white=racist and things like that. Don't get me wrong i'm all for nature but i just don't see a organistation like the National Trust who seem to be more concerned about how they look from the outside then preserving nature manage this.
For someone who clearly knows one or two things about one or two things you do come out with a whole bunch of reactionary bollix' now and then don't you..

Fyi Its perfectly possible to be both an organisation that recognises, and publicly acknowledges the routes and methods by which so much colonial wealth was pillaged from overseas , and brought to this country .

And which also conserves, and interprets heritage properties, and protects valuable landscapes.

Where on earth do you come up with such unmitigated tosh such as white trees = racist = they will get cut down..??

It's straight out of " The Gammons Playbook.

For someone who clearly knows one or two things about one or two things you do come out with a whole bunch of reactionary bollix' now and then don't you..
Is it really? i hope youre right, but if they start chopping white trees, don't say i didn't warn ya

Fyi Its perfectly possible to be both an organisation that recognises, and publicly acknowledges the routes and methods by which so much colonial wealth was pillaged from overseas , and brought to this country .
If they would, why did they start doing that only when it came at a political correct moment? I mean when i was in school(long time ago) we did learn about the darker sides of the VOC,(dutch indian trading company) slavery and so on.(which btw wasn't a white persons thing, that seems to be suggested nowadays. in fact community service after a person did a crime is exactly how the first slavery came to be. The person did something badd so he needed to be put forcefully to work to pay this debt. to soceity.. ) Without the dutch variants of the National Trust needing to sort trough the past to see if they can make some woke statement. (not saying that they did the same thing nonetheless, because mass bs is the bomb and stuff)

And which also conserves, and interprets heritage properties, and protects valuable landscapes.

Where on earth do you come up with such unmitigated tosh such as white trees = racist = they will get cut down..??

It's straight out of " The Gammons Playbook.
that's 2 times, not to worry i will copy my earlier response, 2 times, for 2 times sake!

Is it really? i hope youre right, but if they start chopping white trees, don't say i didn't warn ya

mudsticks

Squire

If they would, why did they start doing that only when it came at a political correct moment? I mean when i was in school(long time ago) we did learn about the darker sides of the VOC,(dutch indian trading company) slavery and so on.(which btw wasn't a white persons thing, that seems to be suggested nowadays. in fact community service after a person did a crime is exactly how the first slavery came to be. The person did something badd so he needed to be put forcefully to work to pay this debt. to soceity.. ) Without the dutch variants of the National Trust needing to sort trough the past to see if they can make some woke statement. (not saying that they did the same thing nonetheless, because mass bs is the bomb and stuff)

that's 2 times, not to worry i will copy my earlier response, 2 times, for 2 times sake!

Yeah I see what you're saying now.

I've got the space so I'm going to set up a refuge for silver birches that have been threatened with the chop, by overly woke NT rangers..

Then one day, when senses are come to, and i think people are ready to hear the full story, I'll be able to set up a visitor centre, and tell the story of how these poor trees were persecuted solely on the basis of their bark colour.

People will shake their heads at the ignorance and cruelty enacted in days of yore.

And learn a lesson or two perhaps, on how low man can sink, if his basest instincts are allowed free rein, whilst others turn a blind eye.

I'll make sure there's a sensibly priced family ticket available :okay:

Top Bottom