Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Über Member
Yeah I see what you're saying now.

I've got the space so I'm going to set up a refuge for silver birches that have been threatened with the chop, by overly woke NT rangers..

Then one day, when senses are come to, and i think people are ready to hear the full story, I'll be able to set up a visitor centre, and tell the story of how these poor trees were persecuted solely on the basis of their bark colour.

People will shake their heads at the ignorance and cruelty enacted in days of yore.

And learn a lesson or two perhaps, on how low man can sink, if his basest instincts are allowed free rein, whilst others turn a blind eye.

I'll make sure there's a sensibly priced family ticket available :okay:
Could we consider a plaque of some sort, giving a bit of background, would that save getting the chainsaws out?
There must be something we can do to stop the Marxist National Trust trying to erase history.

Bark Lives Matter!

mudsticks

Squire
Could we consider a plaque of some sort, giving a bit of background, would that save getting the chainsaws out?
There must be something we can do to stop the Marxist National Trust trying to erase history.

Bark Lives Matter!
Nope that's not enough..

We have to uproot all the silver birches and chuck them in the English channel.

Of course this does raise the possibility of their being lashed together to create makeshift rafts...

But let's not overthink this, we'll deal with the unintended consequences, when we come to them.

Mugshot

Über Member
Nope that's not enough..

We have to uproot all the silver birches and chuck them in the English channel.

Of course this does raise the possibility of their being lashed together to create makeshift rafts...

But let's not overthink this, we'll deal with the unintended consequences, when we come to them.
That'll just see the RNLI snowflakes dragging the things back to shore!

But I don't think there's enough room on this small island for all these trees. Something needs to be done, more beavers?

mudsticks

Squire
That'll just see the RNLI snowflakes dragging the things back to shore!

But I don't think there's enough room on this small island for all these trees. Something needs to be done, more beavers?

Well we've already got beavers on our river..

I think on balance with more beavers you end up with even more trees populating the meanders they create.

So no, that's not going* to work.

* But I think I better had >>>>

mudsticks

Squire
Those silver birches have got it coming to them... all that early tree pollen GRRRRR...
And don't get me started on sticky limes, or willow with all that fluffy stuff, and as for chestnuts and them goddarn prickly seed casings.

Chop em all down and concrete it all over .
That'll show em..

matticus

Guru
not a .... sentient rodent with the power of human speech .???
I'm sorry, that's not the answer I have on my card. Better luck next time!

mjr

Annoyingly, the typical efficiency of air-to-water heat pumps at 350% and gas boilers at 92% means that AS heat pumps work out at 8p/kWh of heat while gas boilers work out at 7.8p/kWh... so it's still cheaper to burn gas. Way to tackle the climate crisis, folks(!)

At least we moved from oil, which is not only completely horrible for emissions but also slightly more expensive than gas, so it works out about the same price as because the boiler needed replacing either way.

But "about the same price" is not going to meet any climate crisis targets. Rishi and friends have dropped the ball and it's probably at least another six months wasted, if not a year if the pricing structure isn't changed for October.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Annoyingly, the typical efficiency of air-to-water heat pumps at 350% and gas boilers at 92% means that AS heat pumps work out at 8p/kWh of heat while gas boilers work out at 7.8p/kWh... so it's still cheaper to burn gas. Way to tackle the climate crisis, folks(!)

At least we moved from oil, which is not only completely horrible for emissions but also slightly more expensive than gas, so it works out about the same price as because the boiler needed replacing either way.

But "about the same price" is not going to meet any climate crisis targets. Rishi and friends have dropped the ball and it's probably at least another six months wasted, if not a year if the pricing structure isn't changed for October.

Could you expand on what is meant by the bolded section? Are you implying you get 3.5 times the energy out, as you put in? It is a long time since I did Physics at School, but, wouldn't that contravene a "law' or two?

swansonj

Regular
The energy you put in is used to pump heat from a source (the air or the ground) into your house. So you can easily pump a whole load more heat than the energy you used to do the pumping, and hence get an "efficiency " of >100%.

I wasn't familiar with the current figures so thanks @mjr .

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom