Cost of foreign holidays to fall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Covid testing requirements and travel restrictions are to be eased, apparently.

Supposedly, this will reduce the cost of a "family holiday" by £200, by October half term.

Quite apart from the Covid risk, does anyone believe that cost of holidays will fall by the full amount, more likely a surge in demand, and, some extra profit taking will keep prices exactly where they are IMHO.

The prices charged by the tour operators or, for those going the self assembly route, holiday oriented airlines are demand driven. They charge what they can get away with. From what I'm reading on aviation enthusiasts forums there have been incredibly low fares available in Wizz for example. Canaries and back for less than £50.

I would expect that the change from a full PCR test, also supplied by companies that know how to play their market, to a snapshot of a LF test stick, will allow people who had ruled out a foreign visit to take the opportunity at half term. Prices to depart a fortnight tomorrow will be through the roof. The week after much less so.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The October school holidays start today. :smile:
Doesn't leave much time to organise a holiday.

Would that be in Scotland?, I believe "half term" in England is nearer the end of October (at least, that is true for my Grandchildren, and teacher daughter). No point wasting a PR opportunity (or should that be a carefully considered Public Health decision?), where there is no chance of any votes?

Ian H

Guru
For the next year or so I shall be happy if I can hop on a ferry across to the EU. Have bike, will travel.
In other news, my other half, E, has just received her new passport. The cover is not so much dark blue as funeral black. Perhaps it's a quality control problem.

MrGrumpy

Regular
We saw a cracking deal on a cruise leaving from. Corfu, Friday past. However youngest needs a new passport as less than 6 months on it.
Hence I’m in North Yorkshire now :whistle: with the family and MIL :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Regular
We need to stop flying so much if we're going to tackle climate change anyway.

indeed we do. However not so sure that will happen. A lot of us have gotten used to travel, to foreign climates pre pandemic.

mudsticks

Squire
We changed our ways pdq for the pandemic.

Not difficult to argue that CC is an even more urgent reason .

We've proved to ourselves we can do things differently.

You can still go to foreign countries, just in in a different way.

We travelled before planes , we still can now, just in a different way.

Bike touring is fun for instance.

MrGrumpy

Regular
We changed our ways pdq for the pandemic.

Not difficult to argue that CC is an even more urgent reason .

We've proved to ourselves we can do things differently.

You can still go to foreign countries, just in in a different way.

We travelled before planes , we still can now, just in a different way.

Bike touring is fun for instance.
View attachment 75
I’m sure it is but not my cup of tea. Unfortunately my usual holidays are not very environmentally friendly. Towing my tin tent or flying off abroad ( pre pandemic) are probably judged harshly now. Vilified for not driving an electric car next on the agenda ! :whistle:

FishFright

I’m sure it is but not my cup of tea. Unfortunately my usual holidays are not very environmentally friendly. Towing my tin tent or flying off abroad ( pre pandemic) are probably judged harshly now. Vilified for not driving an electric car next on the agenda ! :whistle:

Then it's time to change , if no one changes then nothing does.

mudsticks

Squire

Well change comes gradually on some things.

It tends also to be a case of doing what the majority think is 'normal' and what is easier, or allowed.

Smoking in pubs was totally the norm, until suddenly it wasn't.

I helped set up a local recycling centre 30 odd yrs ago.

That was a weird fringe activity , once upon a time.
Now it's 'standard' even if not done well all the time.

Same with 'organic' farming.

I think it's important not to get defensive about these things, and realise that none of us is anything close to 'perfect'..
And to recognise that we all really want the 'better' way to be normal for everyone, not some hair shirt option , that only oddballs like me go in for .

MrGrumpy

Regular
Well change comes gradually on some things.

It tends also to be a case of doing what the majority think is 'normal' and what is easier, or allowed.

Smoking in pubs was totally the norm, until suddenly it wasn't.

I helped set up a local recycling centre 30 odd yrs ago.

That was a weird fringe activity , once upon a time.
Now it's 'standard' even if not done well all the time.

Same with 'organic' farming.

I think it's important not to get defensive about these things, and realise that none of us is anything close to 'perfect'..
And to recognise that we all really want the 'better' way to be normal for everyone, not some hair shirt option , that only oddballs like me go in for .
I’m not too defensive , just don’t like the lecturing we appear to get in the media. We as a family try and make better choices , little changes matter as well!

Top Bottom