Cost of foreign holidays to fall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Regular
Zero air miles ain’t going to happen. Maybe reducing the number used for business etc , which should be attainable would be a start.

Milkfloat

Probably not a popular move, but I am close to booking a holiday in the Canaries for the family at Easter. We have have a tough couple of years and I have missed summer this year completely so we are spending a more than we usually would on a holiday and are hopefully going to enjoy ourselves.

Archie_tect

Passenger demand drives the number and frequency of flights... if people choose to stop flying for business and pleasure then the reduction in emissions noted during the global lockdown would continue. There are alternative strategies for businesses to adopt which are just as effective, and holidays to be taken which can be as much if not more fun.

Archie_tect

The argument that I often hear is, "The flights will go whether I am on the plane or not so the emissions will happen anyway"... if the demand isn't there the routes will be dropped if no longer profitable.

A bit like when horse drawn hansoms were replaced by motorised taxicabs which caused the collapse of the hansom cab whip makers' industry.

mudsticks

Squire
I’m not too defensive , just don’t like the lecturing we appear to get in the media. We as a family try and make better choices , little changes matter as well!

I'm sure you do.
Is it lecturing, or is it information though.??

Personally I'm not a big fan of 'green consumerism' or people being told they should buy product X to 'save the planet' it's a nonsense.

Consumerism isn't what we need more of.

Plus it takes responsibility away from governments who should be directing policy, and investment to make it easier for us to live less carbon heavy lives.

Subsidising rail, instead of air travel etc.

And big business need to do the same the same.

Probably not a popular move, but I am close to booking a holiday in the Canaries for the family at Easter. We have have a tough couple of years and I have missed summer this year completely so we are spending a more than we usually would on a holiday and are hopefully going to enjoy ourselves.

The thing is you're thinking about it and seeing this trip as a special, big deal, one off treat, and a privelege not some 'right' that you're 'entitled' to, every half term holiday

It wasn't that long ago that people thought flying to Prague for a stag weekend was totally acceptable and normal behaviour.

It wasn't that long ago that when I said I didn't fly because of environmental concerns that many.people looked at me like I was a totally deranged, tree hugging eco freak.

Nowadays even though a lot of people still don't give so much of a shoot, they do at least understand in the principal behind it all .

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm sure you do.
Is it lecturing, or is it information though.??

Personally I'm not a big fan of 'green consumerism' or people being told they should buy product X to 'save the planet' it's a nonsense.

Consumerism isn't what we need more of.

Plus it takes responsibility away from governments who should be directing policy, and investment to make it easier for us to live less carbon heavy lives.

Subsidising rail, instead of air travel etc.

And big business need to do the same the same.

The thing is you're thinking about it and seeing this trip as a special, big deal, one off treat, and a privelege not some 'right' that you're 'entitled' to, every half term holiday

It wasn't that long ago that people thought flying to Prague for a stag weekend was totally acceptable and normal behaviour.

It wasn't that long ago that when I said I didn't fly because of environmental concerns that many.people looked at me like I was a totally deranged, tree hugging eco freak.

Nowadays even though a lot of people still don't give so much of a shoot, they do at least understand in the principal behind it all .

According to Google, Prague is still "king":

Top 10:
1. Prague
2. Budapest
3. Krakow
4. Amsterdam
5. Barcelona
6. Riga
7. Hamburg
8. Bratislava
9. Berlin
10. Munich

mudsticks

Squire
According to Google, Prague is still "king":

Top 10:
1. Prague
2. Budapest
3. Krakow
4. Amsterdam
5. Barcelona
6. Riga
7. Hamburg
8. Bratislava
9. Berlin
10. Munich

King of what though.

The stag do??

Poor Praguians :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Squire
What proportion of UK CO2 is generated by aircraft?

Globally I think it's well under 5% of emissions.

Well it illustrates a point about proportionality.

As individuals one of the most significant things we can do to reduce our carbon load is to give up flying .

But as you say in terms of global emissions aviation isn't anywhere near the top, of polluters .

Which shows that the bulk of reductions are going to have to come collectively from the bigger picture.

Other forms of transport such as private cars and lorries, energy use in industry, building, agriculture, and so on.

I think it is important to try to reduce our emissions as individuals and communities, because in it shows willing, and gets us in the habit.

But really it's up to the big hitters, oil companies, mining, manufacturers, shipping, industrialised food etc etc.

mudsticks

Squire
The power of the individual... can be significant providing everyone gets involved.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewSJ6nTEv4

Yup ,

Being part of a global union of agroecologically productive farmers, feels like being part of a significant movement, rather than just a smaller scaled operation pushing against the might of the industrialised food system.

As a collective , we feed a large proportion of the world, without using carbon heavy methods.

With a bit more support (or even fewer barriers) we could do so much more..

Top Bottom