Cricket Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
so the whole cricket board resigning due to racism isnt newsworthy??

If you tried reading the actual words I typed, rather than just listening to the relentless shrieking and gibbering in the void between your ears, you'd perhaps notice that's not what I said.

Cricket's a minority sport in Scotland and while this is objectively appalling, making it major UK-wide news might be as much about, as @glasgowcyclist said, painting Scotland in a bad light as it is about highligting the issue.

One of the attack lines frequently used against Scottish independence is that it is motivated by racism, because Scotland is full of racists. Do you see?

Rusty Nails

Country Member

If you tried reading the actual words I typed, rather than just listening to the relentless shrieking and gibbering in the void between your ears, you'd perhaps notice that's not what I said.

Cricket's a minority sport in Scotland and while this is objectively appalling, making it major UK-wide news might be as much about, as @glasgowcyclist said, painting Scotland in a bad light as it is about highligting the issue.

One of the attack lines frequently used against Scottish independence is that it is motivated by racism, because Scotland is full of racists. Do you see?

I think that is a little bit conspiracy theoryish. At the moment racism in cricket in the UK is a huge issue, dominating headlines, primarily over Yorkshire CC, and it doesn't take much for newspapers to jump on that bandwagon looking for more controversy. Football has had such controversies, as does Rugby Union at the moment, so I believe this is just about sport, and the timing wrt to the independence issue is coincidental. I am not sure that the Yorkshire CC controversy is designed to brand the people of Yorkshire as racist.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me

Again….do you think racism isnt news worthy or because its scotland and a minority sport its ok to be racist, because not many people will see it….

rather than skirt around the question with some jiberish about betwen my ears, answer the question, its not that hard to answer???

and isnt it the same as remainers stating brexiteers are full on racists too, i can now see how you want to defend one but not the other.

Last edited:

jowwy

The 2015 was the one I looked up. Try checking yourself and see what conclusion you come to.

I already checked and posted that they went to 3 world cups and i think 3 T20 world cups……so more than just merely, lets say garden green cricket. They are a full on recognised international cricket team.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
So you are happy for racism to be an issue, as long as the sport involved is a minority sport? Surely racism should be an issue no matter how big the sport?

The BBC also raised this very clearly when it involved Yorkshire and also the England team, are you suggesting that the BBC are trying to paint Yorkshire and England in a bad light?

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
making it major UK-wide news might be as much about, as @glasgowcyclist said, painting Scotland in a bad light

With respect, I think you’re inadvertently putting a different slant to my words than my message intended. BBC Scotland often makes the most of negative stories about Scotland but in this particular case I think the coverage is justified.

Bazzer

I already checked and posted that they went to 3 world cups and i think 3 T20 world cups……so more than just merely, lets say garden green cricket. They are a full on recognised international cricket team.
I didn't say they they were a garden cricket team. The actual words I used were "They will certainly play cricket to a far higher level than I could ever achieve and probably higher than most on here, but some perspective may be necessary."
So did you check which teams were eligible to play in the world cups you referenced before reaching the finals, and which teams were in the finals, given that Scotland and cricket are hardly words which are synonymous?

jowwy

I didn't say they they were a garden cricket team. The actual words I used were "They will certainly play cricket to a far higher level than I could ever achieve and probably higher than most on here, but some perspective may be necessary."
So did you check which teams were eligible to play in the world cups you referenced before reaching the finals, and which teams were in the finals, given that Scotland and cricket are hardly words which are synonymous?

It doesnt matter which teams were eligable…..cause all teams that played including scotland are full on internationally recognised cricket teams.
you are aware that scotland are playing inthe english and wales cricket tier system for and have been for some years??? And cricket scotland is 225 years old with over 130 cricket clubs in scotland

Xipe Totec

Again….do you think racism isnt news worthy or because its scotland and a minority sport its ok to be racist, because not many people will see it….

rather than skirt around the question with some jiberish about betwen my ears, answer the question, its not that hard to answer???

and isnt it the same as remainers stating brexiteers are full on racists too, i can now see how you want to defend one but not the other.

I didn't say any of that. Read it again.

So you are happy for racism to be an issue, as long as the sport involved is a minority sport? Surely racism should be an issue no matter how big the sport?

The BBC also raised this very clearly when it involved Yorkshire and also the England team, are you suggesting that the BBC are trying to paint Yorkshire and England in a bad light?

I think that is a little bit conspiracy theoryish. At the moment racism in cricket in the UK is a huge issue, dominating headlines, primarily over Yorkshire CC, and it doesn't take much for newspapers to jump on that bandwagon looking for more controversy. Football has had such controversies, as does Rugby Union at the moment, so I believe this is just about sport, and the timing wrt to the independence issue is coincidental. I am not sure that the Yorkshire CC controversy is designed to brand the people of Yorkshire as racist.

Not sure whereabouts you are, but you may be oblivious to the amount of SCOTLAND IS SHITE! coverage & headlines you get in these parts. You may be right & I might be overreacting but there's reason to be cynical.

With respect, I think you’re inadvertently putting a different slant to my words than my message intended. BBC Scotland often makes the most of negative stories about Scotland but in this particular case I think the coverage is justified.

Wasn't my intention - I was just crediting you with the quote!

I read the BBC Scotland piece after hearing about this on LBC (a London-centric radio station) news, as their lead item. While it's certainly awful and newsworthy, I was surprised it was the headline item as Scotland isn't exactly known as a nation of cricketers to an audience predominantly in London & the SE.

It occured to me, given LBC's usual political stance, that its positioning as headline news might be for more cynical reasons.

jowwy

Not sure whereabouts you are, but you may be oblivious to the amount of SCOTLAND IS SHITE! coverage & headlines you get in these parts. You may be right & I might be overreacting but there's reason to be cynical.

Wasn't my intention - I was just crediting you with the quote!

I read the BBC Scotland piece after hearing about this on LBC (a London-centric radio station) news, as their lead item. While it's certainly awful and newsworthy, I was surprised it was the headline item as Scotland isn't exactly known as a nation of cricketers to an audience predominantly in London & the SE.

It occured to me, given LBC's usual political stance, that its positioning as headline news might be for more cynical reasons.

Oh you did say it and everyone read it…….its being highlighted for cycnical reasons and not to highlight racism in scottish cricket. I can now see the type of guy you are….

Xipe Totec

Oh you did say it and everyone read it…….its being highlighted for cycnical reasons and not to highlight racism in scottish cricket. I can now see the type of guy you are….

Stop being such a coward. Scaredy-bear, are you? Go on and say it.

jowwy

Stop being such a coward. Scaredy-bear, are you? Go on and say it.

I think even your own people have said it………..hiding behind a minority sport, as to now show scotland ina bad light.

Xipe Totec

I think even your own people have said it………..hiding behind a minority sport, as to now show scotland ina bad light.

Why won't you say it? Is it because if you somehow, magically grew enough of a spine to do it, you'd be expected to explain?

Which of course you can't, because this is just you trying and failing, yet again. Christ, that must really hurt.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Cricket's a minority sport in Scotland

So you are happy for racism to be an issue, as long as the sport involved is a minority sport?

Eh?

Maybe you only accept criticism from other people who seem to be from Scotland?

Any countries whole National governing body for any sport resigning because of institutional racism is a very big deal. I am sure it would be a deal even if the Welsh Quidditch Federation all resigned for institutional racism.

jowwy

Why won't you say it? Is it because if you somehow, magically grew enough of a spine to do it, you'd be expected to explain?

Which of course you can't, because this is just you trying and failing, yet again. Christ, that must really hurt.

You defended racism fella……….its plain for all to see

Top Bottom