Development goal....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Are you thinking of a No Fly Day?? :-) x

slightly more seriously ... someone of your intellect might be able to document a protest day (for some charidee) as a Corporate-approved Community Action day, maybe?

You damn me with faint praise!
Maybe I'll help-out with a local Palestinian, Vegetarian or something that supports the abolition of intensive farming charitee - that'll show them!

44 European flights in the last 12 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Oh my mistake, I'm sure you'd said you did do work for them..

Well I'm pretty sure you work for someone equally evil such as C@rgill or somesuch, non??

So stop biting your lip you big ninny, and use your insider intel, and last reserves of work energy to be part of the change we all need to see - in the food system - and elsewhere..

You're mostly right, but not directly, but ultimately such organisations pay the majority of my salary.
I know that makes me a hypocrite on so many levels. The internal conflict is growing.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
You're mostly right, but not directly, but ultimately such organisations pay the majority of my salary.
I know that makes me a hypocrite on so many levels. The internal conflict is growing.

Plenty of time to resolve that internal conflict about when you are retired or find another job.

Until then take the money. If you don't someone else will and the company will move on without even breaking stride.

P.s. years ago I was involved in setting up and running appraisal systems for a large company. They are OK (at best) if the company can identify how the skills/activities they review can actually help the company and the individual and if individuals buy into them. Mostly they are tick box exercises for managers and their staff with lot of blagging going on.
Linking them to pay levels or promotions just increases the blagging.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire

Yup, tis the way of the world, most people are ensnared in it all pretty stickily.
Whether through choice, or desperation.

Unless you make very active and determined choices to use your talents elsewhere .

But then ofc you don't usually get paid so much lovely lucre, nor get a nice fat pension at the end of it.

And then on top of all that you'll also get accused by some of 'virtue signalling' 🙄

However, just now, after years of being considered a bit of an oddball / fruitloop / crazy over-principled ecofarmerfemisista etc, what I do has become a bit 'cool' and even 'enviable' in some quarters ..
A welcome turn of events otw i guess...

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Sponsored bike ride? Personally I don't think it should form part of an appraisal scheme. If the company were actually just bothered about helping the community they would just give you a paid day and ask you to use it constructively at your own discretion. There will be people who for various reasons can't take part.

stephec

Regular
Unfortunately you have to have some proof...knowing my luck I could fake the whole thing and get caught by an internal Volunteer day audit....

Luckily I don't have to do any of that nonsense, but if I did there's a greyhound rescue down the road from me that we buy stuff from occasionally, I'd just go down there and get a picture of me taking one for a walk. 😊

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I used to hate the whole appraisal thing. As said, it's a box ticking exercise, and I was always doomed to fail because the rest of the team I worked with was at the other end of the country so nothing I did (lots of internal branding and stuff above and beyond) was ever picked up on.

We got to do charity days, not compulsory. A colleague organised a beach litter pick, as we were friends I mentioned that if anyone found out the beach in question got done by an army of volunteers weekly, it might be questioned. It wasn't and we were in the pub by 12 with a carrier bag of rubbish between 6 of us.

mudsticks

Squire
I used to hate the whole appraisal thing. As said, it's a box ticking exercise, and I was always doomed to fail because the rest of the team I worked with was at the other end of the country so nothing I did (lots of internal branding and stuff above and beyond) was ever picked up on.

We got to do charity days, not compulsory. A colleague organised a beach litter pick, as we were friends I mentioned that if anyone found out the beach in question got done by an army of volunteers weekly, it might be questioned. It wasn't and we were in the pub by 12 with a carrier bag of rubbish between 6 of us.

Amateur.🙄

You could have saved all that toil in the morning, and just taken a bin bag full of detritus from home..

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Amateur.🙄

You could have saved all that toil in the morning, and just taken a bin bag full of detritus from home..

I'm not sure anyone would have appreciated me lugging around a minging back of rubbish on public transport, but I appreciate the sentiment.

ebikeerwidnes

Had this carp the last year or so I was working in a big business

The previous year I had an appraisal - had to set 4 targets for the next 12 months
which was a bit difficult as most things I worked on lasted a few months at most and couldn't be predicted ahead of time - I did a lot of trouble shooting and stuff

SO we eventually negotiated some things that might be suitable

Thing is - our pay rise was based on how many we achieved - remember this bit!

So - the next appraisal comes round - by which time I had been told I was being made redundant

anyway the targets
a) - abandoned by Senior Management as it was not longer required
b) no complete because, as I was leaving, I had agreed with Senior Management that it was best to leave the final implementation to a colleague so he would have some experience of it after I left. The colleague had not been allocated any time to do it yet by his manager
c) completed OK
d) abandoned half way through due to management decision

so - only one completed - none of which was down to me - in most cases I had completed most of my work on it
This means my highest grade on the scale was "below expected" and any pay rise was minimal for the next year

turns out that the managers had been banned from saying on appraisal forms that all 4 had been completed as the pay rise budget was not big enough to do that - maximum allowed was 3 - and only a certain percentage were allowed to have achieved that

what a load of rubbish - a project was either complete or not - some friends had completed a project - bu tit was put down as incomplete and their manager had to come up with spurious reasons to justify it

Luckily
a) I was leaving anyway
b) I was due a Y2K bonus as I was a critical part of the IT team supporting it - so this was the same as achieving 3 targets and came as a single payment the next month!

If you are part of one of these things then remember that if you are allocated targets then THESE ARE YOUR ONLY PRIORITIES THAT YEAR!!!
They need to be achieved no matter how they might harm the organisation
and if management insist on it not going ahead - or giving you "more important tasks" then get a change to targets in writing!

I did have some targets when I was a teacher - but no-one ever checked them!!!!

mudsticks

Squire
I'm not sure anyone would have appreciated me lugging around a minging back of rubbish on public transport, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Gadzooks!?!?!?

You mean to say you don't separate your kitchen waste / compostables from your non recyclable refuse ?!?!?! 😱

I always feared I might have fallen into low company hereabouts. 👀

But crivens, I didn't expect such laissez faire debauchery coming from one such as yourself ... 🙄

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Had this carp the last year or so I was working in a big business

The previous year I had an appraisal - had to set 4 targets for the next 12 months
which was a bit difficult as most things I worked on lasted a few months at most and couldn't be predicted ahead of time - I did a lot of trouble shooting and stuff

SO we eventually negotiated some things that might be suitable

Thing is - our pay rise was based on how many we achieved - remember this bit!

So - the next appraisal comes round - by which time I had been told I was being made redundant

anyway the targets
a) - abandoned by Senior Management as it was not longer required
b) no complete because, as I was leaving, I had agreed with Senior Management that it was best to leave the final implementation to a colleague so he would have some experience of it after I left. The colleague had not been allocated any time to do it yet by his manager
c) completed OK
d) abandoned half way through due to management decision

so - only one completed - none of which was down to me - in most cases I had completed most of my work on it
This means my highest grade on the scale was "below expected" and any pay rise was minimal for the next year

turns out that the managers had been banned from saying on appraisal forms that all 4 had been completed as the pay rise budget was not big enough to do that - maximum allowed was 3 - and only a certain percentage were allowed to have achieved that

what a load of rubbish - a project was either complete or not - some friends had completed a project - bu tit was put down as incomplete and their manager had to come up with spurious reasons to justify it

Luckily
a) I was leaving anyway
b) I was due a Y2K bonus as I was a critical part of the IT team supporting it - so this was the same as achieving 3 targets and came as a single payment the next month!

If you are part of one of these things then remember that if you are allocated targets then THESE ARE YOUR ONLY PRIORITIES THAT YEAR!!!
They need to be achieved no matter how they might harm the organisation
and if management insist on it not going ahead - or giving you "more important tasks" then get a change to targets in writing!

I did have some targets when I was a teacher - but no-one ever checked them!!!!

Sounds about right. I produced a full set of internal brand guidelines which I'd asked my manager to look at time and again but he never did. He also put me on a Personal Improvement Program twice because I missed his power trip and utterly pointless morning calls.

The bellendery level in middle management is strong everywhere it would appear.

Top Bottom