Don't Pay UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Sorry, I realise that might not be the best advice for everyone. Indeed, the Don't Pay plan depends on timing - if you are going to cancel, I guess you might as well time it right and be part of the collective action. I've never paid by DD - I'm aware there's a discount (£2.50 per month on dual fuel from my supplier), but I regard it as more of a bribe - it's got to be worth more to them than they are conceding. Someone more across the numbers than I am might be able to figure out how nicely the suppliers are doing by sitting on customer credit balances from deliberately overestimated DDs. I get my bills mid-month for some reason and quite enjoy the fortnight of ignoring calls from the supplier until payday.

I don't think that following Don't Pay's advice is a terribly good idea. The problem is that, unlike what they're claiming, the big oil companies don't need our custom: the UK's a rather small market on the global scale, and they've plenty of people who'll buy the gas off them if we don't. Don't Pay won't affect their profits one jot - merely ensure you end up shivering in the darkness.

What would work would be a windfall tax on the energy companies, and using the proceeds to target help on the poorest households. A mass campaign to get homes insulated up to a reasonable standard would also be useful for the future - it's far too late to make any difference for the looming winter. It's verging on scandalous that so many billions have been squandered on smart meters (which do very little if anything to reduce demand) instead of insulating houses which would have made a very big difference to the poorest and most vulnerable - who are the most likely to unfortunate enough to occupy the worst, poorly insulated homes.

D

Deleted member 49

I don't think that following Don't Pay's advice is a terribly good idea. The problem is that, unlike what they're claiming, the big oil companies don't need our custom: the UK's a rather small market on the global scale, and they've plenty of people who'll buy the gas off them if we don't. Don't Pay won't affect their profits one jot - merely ensure you end up shivering in the darkness.

What would work would be a windfall tax on the energy companies, and using the proceeds to target help on the poorest households. A mass campaign to get homes insulated up to a reasonable standard would also be useful for the future - it's far too late to make any difference for the looming winter. It's verging on scandalous that so many billions have been squandered on smart meters (which do very little if anything to reduce demand) instead of insulating houses which would have made a very big difference to the poorest and most vulnerable - who are the most likely to unfortunate enough to occupy the worst, poorly insulated homes.
If we don't do anything do you think they'll bother...with the energy rises just around the corner it's too late to not do anything That's what they rely on !
About 5 or so years ago ? A large percentage of the Irish public refused to pay for their water bill & the govt was forced to take action.France seemed to have capped bills ?
Collective action works,it's more a case of who's willing to take it.

D

Deleted member 49

Be quick. Truss will make even thinking about it illegal.
Neither her nor Sunak will change a thing for the vast majority of the country...my partner who's Irish doesn't think we've got a fight in us ! Says we're to apathetic and maybe she's right.
I know quite a few Johnson fans, he's a laugh 🙄 who now say the man’s “a feckpig”. They sort of know the situation were in but seem to think that somehow it’ll sort itself out,or aren't prepared really to do anything.Maybe until it's too late for many.

Salty seadog

View: https://www.facebook.com/100064563827620/posts/pfbid02WPyvLQDtKnXiKkrRDiS5eBFLrbVM6jxycCAEneBz1X7MBwCpKtgfYUxKUgsARWTql/?sfnsn=scwspmo

I guess it's all about choices government's make about how to spend. The 6th/7th richest country in the entire world with an embarrassing number of people in poverty which is about to get a whole lot worse.

I dread to think what this will do to suicide rates but I think its fair to say we can all predict it.

View: https://www.facebook.com/100064563827620/posts/pfbid02WPyvLQDtKnXiKkrRDiS5eBFLrbVM6jxycCAEneBz1X7MBwCpKtgfYUxKUgsARWTql/?sfnsn=scwspmo

FB_IMG_1660065588536.jpg

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

I guess it's all about choices government's make about how to spend. The 6th/7th richest country in the entire world with an embarrassing number of people in poverty which is about to get a whole lot worse.

I dread to think what this will do to suicide rates but I think its fair to say we can all predict it.

View attachment 1897

Very interesting. I wouldn't mind having a similar deal to France, for Gas and Electricity, their Petrol/deisel prices are less than ours too. But, as I understand it, the Euro Zone inflation rate is not dissimilar to the UK's, so, if it is not Fuel prices causing inflation in the Euro Zone, what is it?

Salty seadog

Very interesting. I wouldn't mind having a similar deal to France, for Gas and Electricity, their Petrol/deisel prices are less than ours too. But, as I understand it, the Euro Zone inflation rate is not dissimilar to the UK's, so, if it is not Fuel prices causing inflation in the Euro Zone, what is it?

How the government's priorities are set. Different choices. When has this country ever really cared for the vulnerable?

I believe it is rooted in the class system.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 49

How the government's priorities are set. Different choices. When has this country ever really cared for the vulnerable?

I believe it is rooted in the class system.
It's painful to actually think that....but I think your not far off ☹️
Underfunded,sold off what they can with no plans for the future.Im not sure if anyone without there head up their ar5e can actually think things aren't getting worse.It seems like there's another sh1tstorm around every corner.
Even the fecking opposition aren't offering us any alternatives !

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Has anybody mentioned that ? Or is it just your idea...but go on I'm all ears....

Well, if Nationalisation is such a great idea, and, will fix the Energy Crisis, and the Railways, why not go for broke and Nationalise Farming too?, and the Supermarkets, and anything else you can think of.

D

Deleted member 49

Well, if Nationalisation is such a great idea, and, will fix the Energy Crisis, and the Railways, why not go for broke and Nationalise Farming too?, and the Supermarkets, and anything else you can think of.
As I said it's your idea...you do have a idea don't you ? I think you'll find nationalising utilities,railways has a proven track record on other countries,was quite a popular policy for Labour last time round.
Bit I'm still curious of your idea to nationalise farming and now supermarkets 🙄

Top Bottom