Frank Field RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Sad news. I've always had a lot of respect for him. He was a lot less tribal than most politicians.

Agreed, me too.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Every party politician has an element of tribalism...that's why they join a party.

Do you have specific reasons to doubt Frank Field was less tribal than most politicians?

Tribal is possibly the wrong word. I'm not sure what would be to be honest.

A Conservative in Labour clothing doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Tribal is possibly the wrong word. I'm not sure what would be to be honest.

A Conservative in Labour clothing doesn't have much of a ring to it.

So not as tribal as some Labour or Conservative supporters who believe there is only one version of their true faith, which must not be diverged from.
Like religion it's always the fundamentalists that cause the problems in politics.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
So not as tribal as some Labour or Conservative supporters who believe there is only one version of their true faith, which must not be diverged from.
Like religion it's always the fundamentalists that cause the problems in politics.

Well, yeah, which is why I said that "tribal" probably wasn't the right word.

Maybe "archetypal fence sitter" would be better? An undoubtedly intelligent fella, but for me was a bit lacking as a politician.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Maybe "archetypal fence sitter" would be better? An undoubtedly intelligent fella, but for me was a bit lacking as a politician.

You are probably right, far too inclined to sensible suggestions to be taken seriously as a politician. 😊

Rusty Nails

Country Member

I can understand why some might think that, depending on how tribal their own views on politics are.

In my view the polarisation of politics into two camps is so 19th century, a bit like the gender debate where many believe you must be one or the other and never vary from the historical definition.

Top Bottom