Free speech, democracy, and all that jazz ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
Stuff like this is really starting to scare me.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/03/ministers-consider-ban-mps-engaging-pro-palestine-climate-protesters#:~:text=Protest-,UK ministers consider ban on MPs,pro-Palestine and climate protesters&text=Ministers are considering proposals to,Rebellion and Just Stop Oil.
Ministers are considering proposals to ban MPs and councillors from engaging with groups such as the Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC), Extinction Rebellion and Just Stop Oil.

I look at Russia - and how they basically just kill opponents to the government if necessary- and sometimes think it's not MANY steps from a typical western europe democracy to there. And our government keeps making baby-steps in that direction.

C R

Über Member
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/03/ministers-consider-ban-mps-engaging-pro-palestine-climate-protesters#:~:text=Protest-,UK ministers consider ban on MPs,pro-Palestine and climate protesters&text=Ministers are considering proposals to,Rebellion and Just Stop Oil.

I look at Russia - and how they basically just kill opponents to the government if necessary- and sometimes think it's not MANY steps from a typical western europe democracy to there. And our government keeps making baby-steps in that direction.

It is the slow boil approach. The temperature increases ever so slowly that by the time you notice it is too late.

I bet timorous Starmer will join right in to show what a grown up he is.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
If organisations aren't illegal then MP's are entitled to engage with them as much as anyone else. I'd rather see more transparency from politicians in terms of which groups or individuals they meet or associate with so that their voters can decide for themselves next time.

Edit: I would also add receive funding from, because I don't think the current system is transparent or comprehensive enough.

Last edited:

I think the comparison with an regime with an fake democracy only there to provide the illusion and their normal way of killing opponents isn't appropriate.

Other very relevant question: If the MP's where defending some kind of far right fraction, would you have opened this topic?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
If you're going to stop it for one not illegal group you need to stop it for all of them. That includes lobby groups from all sides, whether it's the food industry, farmers, unions, business associations, charities, advocacy groups. Some groups have more access to politicians than others. I think it's time every single encounter with MP's or ministers, from informal private lunches to minuted meetings, is noted and available to see. There's far too much background wheeler dealing and it requires a Freedom of Information request to find out who politicians have met with or whether donations came with strings attached.

I would say, yes, certainly.

Your point is?
I don't think it would work that way, i think ther is an certain bias that leads to certain topic being more defendable then the other.

I know, everyone should know that only white folks are allowed to terrorise others, otherwise it is terrorism.
You mean we need huge concrete blocks to block cars/trucks during big event because of white terrorist who believe in Allah some of them came from Syria and so on?
You mean many jewish buildings, people, schools have extra protection because of white brexit voting thugs..?
You mean a teacher was beheaded in France little more then a year ago by a white french person because he showed a picture of ''the prophet''?

Sure..

C R

Über Member
You mean we need huge concrete blocks to block cars/trucks during big event because of white terrorist who believe in Allah some of them came from Syria and so on?
You mean many jewish buildings, people, schools have extra protection because of white brexit voting thugs..?
You mean a teacher was beheaded in France little more then a year ago by a white french person because he showed a picture of ''the prophet''?

Sure..

Whoosh

AndyRM

Elder Goth

Sure..

You mean Samuel Paty I assume? Who was killed by a Russian?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom